Analytics
5.9K members online now
5.9K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Self domain as a referrer

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello

I'm seeing the domain from the website as a referral, and I was told to fix it by adding all the subdomains as a referral exclusion in Google Analytics, however i'm still seeing traffic from the same domain.

The website is www.jacarandatrace.com

I've added as an exclusion the following:

jacarandatrace.com

blog.jacarandatrace.com

info.jacarandatrace.com

www.jacarandatrace.com

Is cross-domain tracking needed for subdomains?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Luan R
December 2015

Re: Self domain as a referrer

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Luan,

Cross domain tracking is not needed for subdomains when using Universal Analytics.

It's enough to add only the top level domain to the referral exclusion list.

The referral exclusion list does not work for traffic that is already cookied. So if a returning visitor had your domain set as the referral source before you added it to the list and then visits as direct, they will still have that referral source. Please check your session settings under Property -> Tracking Info -> Session Settings -> Campaign Timeout. If it's set to six months for example, it will take six months for all the self referrals to disappear. Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Luan R
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Luan,

Cross domain tracking is not needed for subdomains when using Universal Analytics.

It's enough to add only the top level domain to the referral exclusion list.

The referral exclusion list does not work for traffic that is already cookied. So if a returning visitor had your domain set as the referral source before you added it to the list and then visits as direct, they will still have that referral source. Please check your session settings under Property -> Tracking Info -> Session Settings -> Campaign Timeout. If it's set to six months for example, it will take six months for all the self referrals to disappear. Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Arnold!

Take care!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Due to a million reasons, one of our sites is still using the old version of Google Analytics (ga.js). Shifting that to the new Universal Analytics platform is not possible at the moment due to developer bandwidth issues.

Because of this we create _setDomainName with a specific URL and an _addIgnoredRef with the same URL. Example (removed some configurations for privacy):
_gaq.push(['._setDomainName', 'url']);
_gaq.push(['._addIgnoredRef', 'url']);

With this, we shouldn't see these self referrals, but our Analytics reporting shows that we're getting random spikes from this. Any ideas?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
THANK YOU!!! I was pulling my hair our trying to get tracking to work correctly for a client with existing traffic. The campaign timeout was totally the issue.