AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Self Referrals in All Traffic>Channels

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm looking at the above report and seeing thousands of sessions in self referrals. As an example, most of them are coming from my home page which I know is set up correctly (as is most of the site) with the GA tracking code.

From some of the reading I've done I've looked into the referral exclusion list - it says that my domain is set up by default however I can't actually see it listed in Admin>Tracking Info>Referral Exclusion List...see attached...

delete.png

Do I need to add this manually?

Website is www.qub.ac.uk for anyone that's interested.

Cheers

1 Expert replyverified_user

Self Referrals in All Traffic>Channels

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Elaine,

Referral exclusion has specific use cases, I don't like to hide errors with settings or filters. 

What percentage of all users is your self referrals?  Is all of the site coding executed via GTM?

Cheers, 

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Re: Self Referrals in All Traffic>Channels

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The tracking code is embedded within the site templates but there are parts of the site that are legacy that don't have the code but these don't account for the number of self referrals as they are showing as coming from our home page and other core content.

Here's the screenshot for the last month...

Delete.jpg