AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Same web property ID is tracked twice.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey there!

We are having an issue with the Google Analytics tag on our website. 

Our bounce rate on Google Analytics significantly dropped off on June 10-11.

Google Tag assistant shows "Same web property ID is tracked twice." & "Non-standard implementation" and I cant for the life of me figure out where the second code is firing from. 

Our website is: www.stngrusa.com

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

Have you seen the shopify help docs and done their check to see if it was already enabled?
https://help.shopify.com/manual/reports-and-analytics/google-analytics

Make sure Google Analytics isn't already enabled

If Google Analytics was previously enabled on your store, then your theme.liquid file will contain the following scripts:

• ga.js
  • dc.js
  • analytics.js.

If your file contains these scripts, then keep them only if you are upgrading from Classic Analytics to Universal Analytics, or if you have another specific technical reason.

To check for any potential problems with your site's tracking scripts, install Google's Tag Assistant. If Tag Assistant detects an issue, you'll see an error message when you visit your site. For example:

• Error: Detected both ga.js and dc.js scripts which will make tracking ambiguous.
  • Multiple Google Analytics tags detected.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Re: Same web property ID is tracked twice.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Bronwyn!

I checked my theme.liquid file and did not find ga.js, dc.js, or analytics.js.

The code, however, is installed under Online Store > Preferences > Google Analytics

Google Tag assistant indicates that the errors are: "Same web property ID is tracked twice." & "Non-standard implementation". 

Here is a screenshot: tag manager.png

I am able to collect data in analytics. It is just that the tracking code is firing twice which is artificially deflating our bounce rate. 

Any thoughts on whats going on?

Thank you! 

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Have you checked if any code has been added to the Add Custom Javascript field?

Only other thing i can think of is to go thru the following page

https://help.shopify.com/api/sdks/shopify-apps/modifying-online-store/use-javascript-responsibly

or contact shopify support, being familiar with their own platform, they may have a quick explanation

or resolution to what is occuring.

Unfortunately i do not have much familiarity with shopify

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here