Analytics
6.3K members online now
6.3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Same web property ID is tracked twice.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have seen previous mentions of this issue and was wondering if anyone could help. I am receiving the error "Same web property ID is tracked twice" for my webpage: https://responsiveed.com/employment/

I can only find one instance of the UA code in my source. There is a second, but distinct, UA code on this page. Could that be contributing to the issue?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

Eric

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi, Eric,

There does appear to be two sets of GA tracking code on the page, one in the <head> section, and another deeply imbedded in the <body> (not a good thing to be nested). The issue might be because you have two trackers, and yet they are not uniquely identified. When you have multiple trackers on the page, you need to give them unique names: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1032400?hl=en

That support page will springboard you to more technical details of how you can resolve the "multiple tracker" issue. Quite simply put, when you have, say, two trackers on the page, you need to provide a name to the tracking object like this:

/* tracker X */

ga('create', 'UA-XXXXXXX-1', 'auto', 'trackerX');

/* tracker Y */

ga('create', 'UA-YYYYYY-1', 'auto', 'trackerY');

Any subsequent method calls with the tracking objects would require the tracker names prepended to the method called, for example:

/* sending pageviews */

ga('trackerX.send', 'pageview');

ga('trackerY.send', 'pageview');

/* sending events */

ga('trackerX.send', 'event', 'catX', 'actX');

ga('trackerY.send', 'event', 'catY', 'actY');

and so forth.

So perhaps try that and see if it helps.

Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Awesome! Thanks very much Nicky that makes total sense. I will share this with my dev. team and see if this solves the issue.

Best,

Eric