Analytics
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Same web property ID is tracked twice (GA+GTM)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I have implemented GA Universal Tracking in the GTM on my website. When running Google Tag Assistant, it shows me "2 pageview requests" and "Same web property ID is tracked twice". May I know would this the cause of why there are 2 pageview requests as it is tracked twice?

From the Pageview requests, I compared 2 URLs of Pageview and find several different attributes between the 2 URLs:

1. one has "jid" with value, one without
  2. one has "gjid" with value, one without
  3. one has "uid", one doesn't have
  4. one with "cd1", one with "cd2"
  5. the "z" value for 2 URLs are different

I am wondering if this is the cause that I see very low bounce rate in my Google Analytics report. Note that I didn't implement classic GA code in the website. I only include GTM code in my website - so there should be only 1 GA code running. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks and sincerely

Eva

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eva I
May 2017

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star

I can also recommend 'dataslayer' as an awesome chrome extension to show what is in the datalayer and what is being sent to GA. This has the advantage that you can see the history of all events.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dataslayer/ikbablmmjldhamhcldjjigniffkkjgpo

You can see the two page views being sent - they have different custom dimensions so it's possible something in your set-up there is incorrect. You can set multiple custom dimensions on the same page view tag.

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 11.22.51.png

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Eva,

You might have it natively coded in the source code and another installation in GTM.

What's your website url?

Thanks,

Adam

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adam,

The website URL is http://www.royalcaribbeancruises-sg.com/newsletter-2017/apr-cas/experience/.

Thanks,

Eva

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Two page views are firing from the GA tag created in GTM.

it has: 

1. User ID (uid): undefined

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Amulya,

May I know do you mean it could be because I have setup 2 views in my GA - All Web Site Data and User ID Data, so the GA fires 2 pageviews - one for each view?

Thanks, 

Eva

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

install GA debugger, chrome extension. you can see in chrome developer console.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi, what's the trigger linked to the Universal Analytics code inside your tag manager? Looks like the Analytics tag is fired twice so you might have two triggers linked to it.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Also, use the 'preview' feature of Tag Manager to see what is happening realtime: https://support.google.com/tagmanager/answer/6107056?hl=en

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eva I
May 2017

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star

I can also recommend 'dataslayer' as an awesome chrome extension to show what is in the datalayer and what is being sent to GA. This has the advantage that you can see the history of all events.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dataslayer/ikbablmmjldhamhcldjjigniffkkjgpo

You can see the two page views being sent - they have different custom dimensions so it's possible something in your set-up there is incorrect. You can set multiple custom dimensions on the same page view tag.

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 11.22.51.png

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your great help. I have resolved the issue. Based on the two custom dimensions (which I only need one in my report), I found that a test universal analytics tag was set up previously which fires the pageview with cd2 which is not necessary. I removed this tag and only 1 pageview request is fired now. 

Appreciate all your helpful recommendation! Smiley Happy

Sincerely,

Eva