AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Running two Google Analytics properties for same domain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am about to setup cross-domain tracking to connect 3 different domains.

1. Domain #1 - Primary Informational
  2. Domain Domain #2 - eCommerce for the primary domain
  3. Domain #3 - User portal for the primary domain

I am a bit hesitant to implement the cross-domain tracking on the property that tracks the primary domain only at the moment. I want to test things out a bit first plus I will be setting up a lot of eCommerce tracking. Basically, I do not want to mess with the good data in the current property. Would it make sense to keep tracking the primary domain separately and setup another property for cross-domain tracking? Also, am I going to be dealing with any issues because I am running 2 tracking codes for the primary domain?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Arseniy B,

I guess it would be good if you create a different property and test. Safety should be the priority and test until everything works fine in test property.
Some people do use two tracking codes with different setups. Normally there shouldn't be a issue but its good to have a technical person guide you.
Check for cross domain tracking: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034342?hl=en

Hope this helps,
Thanks,
Ritwik

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi,

Also make sure you use named trackers for the subsequent properties:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/creating-trackers#working_w...

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital