AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Revamping site - new pages, URLs ect - How should I strategy moving the analytics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I hope this is the correct place to ask about this.

So, I currently have a website: www.example.com

The website has been around for a considerable amount of time and had GA track, keywords ect.

It is bilingual. Currently handled as so:

www.example.com/index_en.html

www.example.com/index_fr.html

Now, the new site. Will be different, but with the same domain:

example.com &

fr.example.com

The site will have a new URL structure, i.e.

fr.example.com/home

My question is. Should I simply just copy the current GA tracking to the new site, or is it best to start over?

Any links to articles about this would be great. I am new to GA.

Thank you

Re: Revamping site - new pages, URLs ect - How should I strategy moving the analytics?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi

Can i first ask if SEO is important to your site? if so you need to be aware of 2 things
1 - changing your URLs like that will basically wipe out much of seo you have built up over the years - you could lose your google rankings
you can help this by using a 301 redirect map - i suggest you go to moz.com and read and ask about this in their blog etc.
2 - fr.example.com is a sub-domain - that is another thing that can seriously diminish your SEO equity in your site - i.e. once again you can lose a lot of your seo and lose google rankings

So if google rankings are important to you do not do anything until you have had a high quality seo walk you through this 301 and subdomain process.

Next to answer your actual GA question:
this is not a basic thing to do and things can go wrong
id read things liek this:
http://www.ericmobley.net/guide-to-tracking-multiple-subdomains-in-google-analytics/
and https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034342?hl=en

and make sure you are sure before you go ahead

people often come to us after these things to say 'i upgraded my site and now my rankings have gone and my data is missing' it is a big job to clean up afterwards.

Re: Revamping site - new pages, URLs ect - How should I strategy moving the analytics?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
also look into href country codes as they are often missed - again potentially killing seo

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you David. I opted for the subdomain route to specify as it seemed to be the preferred option to Google.

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/182192?hl=en

See "URL" structures.

As for current SEO. It's been setup - but setup badly.

In fact the only page which shows up in the top 10 google search is the English home page. Thank you for detailing the 301 redirect map, ill look into this.

Edit:

Reading about 301 redirects within the .htaccess has made things click for me! thank you.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
cool mate
unless you are highly likelty tro split the subudomains out to be their own separate domains in the short to medium term i would avoid subdomain.
google chart you pointed to does not take into consideration SEO.
if you go subfolder/subdirectory then that is a massive plus in that all of the content in those folders will help power up the domain authority of your root domain.
if you go subdomain they will not you will be seen SEOwise almost as separate sites

BUT if you were paying me to advise you on this i would say if search matters to you then avoid subdomain
the lost value of the 'free seo' of being subfolder can easily and very quickly run into the tens of thousands + and the loss of the conversion alue of that seo effect can be hundreds of thousands of dollars very easily also.
yes 301 mapping is critical - even if seo is 'bad' the inherent value in your domains may be high - check their DA and PA
if you want to look at this further go spend some time at moz.com on their community

this is getting off the GA focus of this forum so ill stop there.