1.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Returns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone, 

I've been analyzing return processes of a webshop for my internship, I learned that upgrading to Universal Analytics provides an enormous amount of new information. The piece of data I'm searching for is rather accurate though so I was wondering if anyone knows if this is possible before I start the entire upgrading process. 

When customers return a product we provide them with the option to give up a reason of return. To get a clearer view of why products are returned I'd like to create a report which shows the percentual distribution of reasons why products are returned. 

I hope I've explained my intentions well enough, Thanks in advance!

Robbie

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Robbie f
February 2017

Returns

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Robbie,

You can set a custom dimension with that information.  That sounds easy right?  Well it's not.  Smiley Happy  Refund data import does not allow for Custom Dimensions in the dataset.  That forces you to store every transaction id as a custom dimension and then use data import and a custom dataset that is tied to your custom dimension for transaction id -- and then import the corresponding reason (after you configured it as a custom dimension).   Lastly, you'll need to create a custom report or use the API to see the data. 

More on Custom Dimensions here:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/custom-dims-mets#implementa...

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Robbie f
February 2017

Returns

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Robbie,

You can set a custom dimension with that information.  That sounds easy right?  Well it's not.  Smiley Happy  Refund data import does not allow for Custom Dimensions in the dataset.  That forces you to store every transaction id as a custom dimension and then use data import and a custom dataset that is tied to your custom dimension for transaction id -- and then import the corresponding reason (after you configured it as a custom dimension).   Lastly, you'll need to create a custom report or use the API to see the data. 

More on Custom Dimensions here:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/custom-dims-mets#implementa...

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Returns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So if there's a million orders I'd have to store every transaction ID as a custom dimension? If that's the case I think I'll try to figure it out another way, thanks anyway!

Returns

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

But will it really be a million orders? GA can manage large amounts of data. Yes, there are limitations but if you are processing high levels of orders then investing in Premium and/or Big Query would be a sensible thing to do. 

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Returns

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There actually is over a million orders in the timespan I've chosen (18 months). Reducing it to 12 months would reduce this number but that would still be way too much work processing it through universal analytics. I guess I'll propose investing in premium indeed then. Thanks!