Analytics
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Removing Self-Referrals in Google Analytics - Tag Manager

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've been seeing self-referrals in Google Analytics. I've followed the instructions here: https://support.google.com/tagmanager/answer/6106951

I am using the Auto Link Domain feature in tag manager.

The website is www.mountvernon.org. The subdomain is shops.mountvernon.org. The referrals are reported as coming from mountvernon.org.

Step 2 says:

If you are using the same container for A.com and B.com, under More Settings → Fields to Set, enter the following:

1. Field Name: allowLinker
  2. Value: true
  3. Cookie Domain: auto

Here is my setup for step 2:

g-tagmanager-step-2.png

Step 3 says:

1. Find the field More settings → Cross Domain Tracking → Auto Link Domains and enter "B.com" (no quotes).
    If you have multiple domains, separate them by commas: A.com, B.com, C.com

Here is my setup for step 3:

g-tagmanager-step-3.jpg

The trigger is set for all pages.

Despite this setup, the self-referrals persist. Could it be the way in which the domains are entered? Should I try without the *?

In Google Analytics, I've also added the domain as a referral exclusion, as instructed here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830 

referral-exclusion-list.png

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

The value for the Auto Link Domain should be just the top-level domains, not a regex. So enter "mountvernoon.org, gatewayticketing.com, etc." without the "*".

Also, under GA Admin/Web Property/Referral Exclusion List, add those domains.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I did that but I'm still seeing the self-referrals. I made the change on Friday. When I check the referrals for today, I see 300 sessions from mountvernon.org as a referral.