AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Relaunching a website at the same domain, switching to Universal Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,  

I'm working on a website rebuild project set to launch early next year, at the same domain as my existing site.  My developers need my GA tracking code for the new site.  My existing site is still on old GA tracking code.  I want the new site to use Universal Analytics tracking code. In the meantime, I don't want to update my existing website to Universal Analytics.  

Should I create a new account based on my existing domain to generate the tracking code? Or just a new property in the existing account?  What are the benefits to each?  Will it work? Is it advisable?!?!

THANKS!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jenna B
September 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

You can track your new site using the same property, just use the universal analytics tracking code on the new site. The properties were all auto-updated to Universal Analytics.

If you want to start over using a new property for the new site, you can create it in the same account, no need to create a new account. Let me know if you have questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jenna B
September 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

You can track your new site using the same property, just use the universal analytics tracking code on the new site. The properties were all auto-updated to Universal Analytics.

If you want to start over using a new property for the new site, you can create it in the same account, no need to create a new account. Let me know if you have questions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Okay, thanks. I guess if I use the same property, all of the testing traffic as we prepare for launch will be credited to the existing website. That's probably okay. Do you know if Google will be okay with simultaneously processing some data with the ga.js code and other data with the analytics.js code?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

GA will receive data from both ga.js and analytics.js, you should have no problems.