Analytics
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Referrals from Credit Card Authenticators - e.g. arcot.com

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

We use Universal Analytics, and are seeing a lot of referral traffic with ecommerce transactions coming from what I am calling card authenticators. So when somebody is using a card, right at the final stage of the checkout they are being redirected to verify they are the credit card owner, by means of a password. I've always known this as Verified by Visa

Now the trouble is - after completing the verification, and returning to the site to complete the transaction, the medium is being set to Referral. This means the original traffic source is being dropped, and that's just plain nasty when it comes to attribution! 

I'm fairly sure that this is a common problem - and I am wondering is there any solution/workaround? 

I've heard that "nooverride=1" parameter may help? Not sure how this works, or if its even supported in Universal analytics? 

Also I'm aware of the referral exclusion facility, but my understanding of this is that instead of the the traffic source being "Referral" it will now go in as "Direct". If that understanding is correct, are we still losing the original traffic source?

Really looking forwarrd to hearing your thoughts on this, and and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tony R
December 2015

Re: Referrals from Credit Card Authenticators - e.g. arcot.com

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
This is exactly the scenario that the Referral Exclusion List was created for. Find it under the Admin - Property - Tracking Info - Referral Exclusion List.

It prevents the return visit from the credit card processor from being viewed as a new session, joining it to the previous session of the same user.

The shift from Referral to Direct commentary is with respect to trying to use it to eliminate referral spam -- don't use it for that purpose. If there was no previous user session, GA will simply strip the referral information off the visit and have it appear as Direct.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tony R
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
This is exactly the scenario that the Referral Exclusion List was created for. Find it under the Admin - Property - Tracking Info - Referral Exclusion List.

It prevents the return visit from the credit card processor from being viewed as a new session, joining it to the previous session of the same user.

The shift from Referral to Direct commentary is with respect to trying to use it to eliminate referral spam -- don't use it for that purpose. If there was no previous user session, GA will simply strip the referral information off the visit and have it appear as Direct.

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Mike - thats cleared up a few doubts I was having - am going to try it out now!