AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4K members online now
4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Referral source for goals

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have an online transaction portal wherein users can make their payment using payment gateways (netbanking and billdesk). After the purchase users are redirected to the final receipt page which is hosted on my domain. I have created a URL destination goal using this receipt page url. However, I am seeing most of the goals have source/medium as billdesk or netbanking which is bound to happen due to payment gateway. However, don't think this is the right way as I would like to the see the actual website from which the user came and completed the transaction.

Is there a way to not get billdesk or netbanking in source for goals?

Regards,
K [censored]ija

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Referral source for goals

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
You can use the GA UTM tracking parameters in the link in the payment gateways that finally redirects to your receipts page.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=en#using_the_url_builder

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,
There is no way to completely wiped out transaction from referral in your case . You can only minimize referral issues while using payment gateways. Please check below post on exactly same issue.

http://blog.analytics-toolkit.com/2015/payment-gateway-referrer-exclusions-google-analytics/

https://www.optimizesmart.com/tracking-true-referrals-in-google-analytics-when-using-paypal-and-othe...

Thanks

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi @Kshitija C

You should add those 2 domains to the referral exclusion list, that way they won't be counted as referral when the user comes back to your page.
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830

Hope it helps,

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Carlos,
are you sure what you have suggested that will work ? I'm asking because I have implemented the same still getting payment gateway referral in GA. Contacted many analytics expert worldwide none of them able to wipe out payment gateway referrals in GA. Certainly they help me in reducing such referrals.

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Carlos.
I am currently trying out this solution. But just curious to know that where will the traffic from the payment gateway be counted if not referral, once I get the referral exclusion done? Also, where will the conversions from these payment gateways be tracked?

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

@Kshitija C, the original source of the visit will be kept and the goal tracked.

@santosh s,  I've been using it for PayPal and it seems to work well, but clear doubts I just made a couple of tests.

This is the flow that I used between my site and 2 other sites linking to my site.

1. www.advertisercommunity.com -> 2. www.ohow.co -> 3. www.stackoverflow.com -> 4. www.ohow.co

First Scenario -  No changes in the exclusion list.

Analytics shows as source advertisercommunity.com, and after going back it changes the source to stackoverflow.com

Final Source: stackoverflow.com

Second Scenario -  stackoverflow.com added to the referral exclusion list.

Analytics again shows as source advertisercommunity.com but this time, it keeps it after going back from stackoverflow.com

Final Source: advertisercommunity.com

Now I can't say this works in every case there might be some things, especially cookie related, that prevent this from happening. I repeated this test with other source and had the exact same result. I'll recommend you to test it too the same way.

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me