AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Referral Exclusion List not working, even for new visitors?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've added paypal.com and www.xxx.com (our own domain) to the Referral Exclusion list for our ecommerce store, but it's just not working. I have read through the forums and seen that it can take six months for the cookies to clear on returning visitors. However my understanding is that the referrals for "new" visitors should be tracked correctly, and we should not see self-referrals or Paypal attributed as the referrer for those visits – right?

Any input much appreciated! 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Referral Exclusion List not working, even for new visitors?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Emma,

Exactly, adding to referral exclusion list should result in no self referrals or PayPal referrals for new visitors. Try xxx.com (without www).

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your reply but I already tried that I'm afraid! I added both versions just to be sure.

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

Just reiterating:
GA configurations only work moving forward on the incoming data and not on previously processed data.

Best Regards,
GA Guru.

'Star' or 'Accept as Solution' if it helped.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
@GA Guru: That's the point Emma was stating by "new visitors"

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Also Emma,

How exactly are you checking it in reports?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@webfield is correct, that's exactly what I was trying to say. I'm checking by setting the date range in my reports to after I made the changes to the R.E. list, and then applying a segment so I can focus on "New Visitors". These sessions with conversions are still being attributed to [own domain] or Paypal.

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Emma,

Under admin section, have you changed the default session duration (30 min.)?

Depending on the implementation a session might end while the user is at the payment gateway so when he returns he’ll still be counted as being referred from there.

Best Regards,
GA Guru.

'Star' or 'Accept as Solution' if it helped.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Good thinking, I'll increase the session timeout to an hour and see if that does the trick – will report back in a day or so!

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10