AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Redirecting URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I set up Google Analytics for my site years ago. Last year, I rebranded the site and changed the URL. My host redirects all traffic that comes to the old site to the new site. The same GA tag from the original site is in place.

1) Is having the URL set in GA as the old URL and using the old site tag still capturing the actual analytics on my site? 

a) If not, how should I change the set to be sure I am capturing the data on all the traffic that visits the site (both through direct to the new site/links and through a redirect)?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Redirecting URL

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

URL in the settings does not affect your data gathering.

Do you have a reason to suspect that you are not capturing all the data now?

Most common thing with redirects is that campaign tracking gets lost because the redirect strips the parameters away.

--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.