AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Redirected Domain Help

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

I have an e-commerce website (www.example.com) and we are launching today our news (blog) site. This new site's domain is blog.example.com. Nevertheless, for marketing reasons, we are promoting www.exampleblog.com because its easier to remember for our potential users. So, right now, when someone enters to www.exampleblog.com (most of our traffic) it redirects him automatically to blog.example.com. 

My question is: which is the best way to track analytics for blog.example.com? This redirect from exampleblog.com to blog.example.com is a recommended practice or it can mess up the data we will receive? 

Thanks! 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jose L
August 2016

Re: Redirected Domain Help

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jose L,

Personally, I would eliminate the procedure you are using and market the actual domain. Redirects are great for pushing old traffic to a new page... but messy when used as you are (promoting). If you do not like the structure of the blog.example.com, you could consider changing it.

If your site uses redirects, the redirecting page becomes the landing page's referrer. For example, if you've changed your site so that index.html now redirects to home.html, then index.html becomes the referrer for home.html. If someone reached your site via a Google search that sent them first to index.html, you won't have any data regarding the Google search.

For this reason, you should place the Analytics tracking code on the redirecting page as well as on the landing page. This way, the redirecting page will capture the actual referrer information for your reports.

Note that you may not be able to successfully implement the tracking code on all redirect pages as some redirecting pages may not have any code. Additionally, some browsers may actually redirect before the JavaScript call from the code can be made.

Further, if you are using AdWords or plan to at some point, you should read all of this Google Help File. It will provide some great info.

Kind Regards,

James

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jose L
August 2016

Re: Redirected Domain Help

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jose L,

Personally, I would eliminate the procedure you are using and market the actual domain. Redirects are great for pushing old traffic to a new page... but messy when used as you are (promoting). If you do not like the structure of the blog.example.com, you could consider changing it.

If your site uses redirects, the redirecting page becomes the landing page's referrer. For example, if you've changed your site so that index.html now redirects to home.html, then index.html becomes the referrer for home.html. If someone reached your site via a Google search that sent them first to index.html, you won't have any data regarding the Google search.

For this reason, you should place the Analytics tracking code on the redirecting page as well as on the landing page. This way, the redirecting page will capture the actual referrer information for your reports.

Note that you may not be able to successfully implement the tracking code on all redirect pages as some redirecting pages may not have any code. Additionally, some browsers may actually redirect before the JavaScript call from the code can be made.

Further, if you are using AdWords or plan to at some point, you should read all of this Google Help File. It will provide some great info.

Kind Regards,

James