Analytics
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Redirected Domain Help

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I currently have a domain/website with Google Analytics. I need to redirect this domain to a new domain/website from within my domain manager on godaddy (without masking).

What is the best method for setting up GA on the new domain? I want to somehow keep track of the traffic referrals coming from the old domain. Do I need to keep the old domain/website active with the GA code?

Any help is appreciated or suggestions of another post I can look into. I am very much a novice when it comes to GA, so I don't know if I'm asking the right questions.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Redirected Domain Help

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Stefan,

by default in these site wide redirects the referral will be preserved in the redirects so the original source would be passed on to GA. One additional thing to be aware of is to allow query params to be passed on - at least utm parameters if some links pointing to the old domain will still be active.

In any case you can continue tracking the new domain in the old Google Analytics property but you may expect a spike in % new users.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Re: Redirected Domain Help

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Zorin — Can you point me to something with step by step instructions for this?