Analytics
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Problems with Self Referrals

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I use Google Adwowrds and Analytics for my website, when I check, as the main source of sessions, is shown paid searches (adwords), but Google Analytic shows that most of the referrals for purchases from my own website.
There are two possible reasons for this in my situation. Cross Domain Tracking and Page Dropping Cookie.
Regarding Cross Domain Tracking, I use single domain, but after the customer checks out, the Thank You page comes with Shopify domain, can it be considered that I use multiple domain?

Regarding the Cookie Drop out, how can I find it out? and fix it.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Joe,

Unless you use Shopify plus your shopify checkout will use the shopify domain. In this case you want to add that domain to the referral exclusion list, this way it will stop the user from returning to your website and starting a new session, thus, retaining any campaign referrals such as Adwords from being overwritten by Shopify as a referral and attributing it to the wrong channel.

I would say to just use the referral exclusion, that way it will discard the cross domain activity and continue when the users returns back to your site.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Adam, In case I exclude it Shopify, I wont get enough data still, I mean, It just wont record or show referral from Shopify, but instead those referrals wont that if it comes from Google/CPC

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Adding the exclusion list prevents the session from starting a new sessions so when the user returns to your confirmation page after visiting the shopify domain it will retain the campaign referral information so if the user came from PPC it will attribute to PPC.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I got it now, but as I understood before that exclusion, I need to add cross domain tracking.

in the link , Google says, as the 3rd step, Edit the tracking code on the secondary domain. In my case secondary domain is Shopify, as Google says The tracking code snippet must contain these changes every place it appears on your secondary domain. But, I cant control the domain of Shopify or PayPal, so what can I do"?

The tracking code snippet must contain these changes every place it appears on your secondary domain.