AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Post Login Page Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to track the number of people that successfully login to a self-care application. The global tracking js is implemented on the site, but when I try to report on the post-login self-care landing page, I'm getting no tracking hits. Same if I try to set up a post login page as a destination goal.

It's my understanding that post-login pages need event tracking or custom tracking code implemented, but I've read conflicting information about that. Some have said it should work fine if the URL is not dynamic (which it's not).  I've yet to find a good explanation as to why GA can't report on a post-login URL with the standard tracking.js.

Any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kip

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Post Login Page Tracking

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Kip,

As long as the tracking code is the same and is deployed across the logged-in section of the site and it's not on some intranet that is preventing the hit from reaching google-analytics.com you should have absolutely no issues with tracking post log-in. I do it for several clients.

If you are not seeing the post log-in pages in your content reports, something is amiss. I would suggest you test it yourself using Tag Assistant for Chrome.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tag-assistant-by-google/kejbdjndbnbjgmefkgdddjlbokphdefk?h...

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn