AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Please Help:Tracking Link hard coded in GTM setup

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All,

Suppose I have a website with GTM and Google analytics installed via GTM.

Now if i try to track any thing suppose an event hard coded without the help of  gtm does it work?

Suppose I have put the below code:

<a href="mailto:sales@xyz.com"onclick="ga('send','event','email',' emaillinkclicked','sales@xyz.com');">sales@xyz.com</a>

does it send an event to GA?or i have to do it only via GTM?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Soumik,

It would mostly likely send 9/10 times, but wouldn't be 100% reliable since you aren't sure at the time of loading the page that ga() function is available ,since it is being loaded asynchronously

I would recommend attaching an event to the element via GTM, there isn't much reason to hardcode onclick events.

In your case:

someElement.addEventListener('click', function() {

ga('send','event','email',' emaillinkclicked','sales@xyz.com');

});

You could also make the event label dynamic by reading it's value from the anchor tag text.

Regards

Andy

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply.

One thing  i do not understand how to modify put the code here:

My code:

<a href="mailto:sales@xyz.com"onclick="ga('send','event','email',' emaillinkclicked','sales@xyz.com');">sales@xyz.com</a>

Your code:

someElement.addEventListener('click', function() {

});

What should i change in my code?

Can u please put the full code?

I want to track mail to links in this.I know it is easier in GTM but I just want to know what is the modified code in this case

Should it is like this below?

mailto:sales@xyz.com is our element in this case

Suppose after enabling builtin click variables like click text,click element,in GTM 'click text' automatically populates our value mailto:sales@xyz.com

then is the below code work

click text.addEventListener('click', function() {

});

I know  i am making this complicated.Just for knowledge.I am asking.

In GTM it is lot of easier to track this things.I know it.So i think if i use gtm use it in gtm way,if we use hard coded analytics without gtm my first hard coded code will work.