Analytics
6.7K members online now
6.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Performance Impacts to increasing Site Speed Sample Rate

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, is there any negative impact to increasing the site speed sample rate for example:

ga('create', 'UA-XXXX-Y', {'siteSpeedSampleRate': 100});
Is there any disadvantage to doing this?  Should I only increase it to 20 or 50 or something?

For sites with smaller volumes a 1% sample doesn't seem to give a reliable trend, but I don't want to increase it to 100% if there is any negative impact to doing that.

Thanks for the thoughts! 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author puregrey
December 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi

The amount of data processed is fixed.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/user-timings?hl=en

Therefore, I think that it is better to calculate the sampling rate accoding the actual pageview/day. If this sample rate is too hight, it is thought that only the number in the morning is reflected in the sitespeed report

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

This will send a timing hit for every pageview. It's usually takes a dozen milliseconds so it does not have any big impact for your website speed.
I use this settings for one of my webpages and I didn't notice any negative impact.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author puregrey
December 2016

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi

The amount of data processed is fixed.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/user-timings?hl=en

Therefore, I think that it is better to calculate the sampling rate accoding the actual pageview/day. If this sample rate is too hight, it is thought that only the number in the morning is reflected in the sitespeed report

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

is this change in code required is?:

ga('create', 'UA-XXXX-Y', 'auto'); --> ga('create', 'UA-XXXX-Y', {'siteSpeedSampleRate': 100});

1. Will it affect any other page view related metrics?
2. how to implement when multiple tracker on the page (in addition to: ga('newTracker.require', 'ec')_;
3. should I change the code on each page it is set?

If someone has a guide on how to do it and avoid known pitfalls ill appreciate it.
THX
oshri.