Analytics
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Pageview event not tracking despite hit being found in debug console

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have two properties, A and B, with identical setups, except for the tracking ID (in fact they both run off of the same instance of the application).

I'm trying to track outbound links, so on the server-side, I have a URL like "/redirect?url=https%3A%2F%2Fexample.com" which a) tracks a pageview at this redirect URL (so that I can use it in a goal) and b) redirects the user to the page specified in the query param.

This is working on property B, but not on property A. ie. I can see pageviews to these "redirect" URLs on property B, but not A.

I'm racking my brain trying to figure out why this is. I've tried passing the pageview to the debug GA endpoint, and in both cases the pagehit is found, and is valid. But like I say, on site A it just never registers.

I can provide more specifics privately, if anyone might have nay idea of what is going on.

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Ernest S :-)

1) In GA for Property A.. are there any filters applied to the View(s) that may be affecting reporting of data?
2) On each View Setting page.. are there any query parameters set to be excluded? (the setting is immediately following the optional Default Page setting)

3) Is the tracking code included on the page being redirected to? In the Real Time reporting, if you travel the path in question.. does the page track normally but without the appended parameters?

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Bronwyn V, thanks for the quick reply!

1) I just checked, and only a filter to exclude Pingdom, so this would not affect the views
2) Nope
3) The page that is being redirected to has its own tracking code, as it is on a seperate subdomain (actually a subdomain of site A). Hits to this page do get recorded properly, but it is a different property.

In real-time tracking on site B, the redirect hit gets tracked with all query parameters. In real-time tracking on site A, it doesn't get tracked at all

Re: Pageview event not tracking despite hit being found in debug console

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

Couple more questions.. 

3) The page that is being redirected to has its own tracking code, as it is on a seperate subdomain (actually a subdomain of site A). Hits to this page do get recorded properly, but it is a different property.

- Is the tracking for SiteB setup the same way for SiteA, with SiteB page being redirected to being on a subdomain of siteB that is also using its own tracking code for a different property?
- Is the redirected page setup with tracking code for multiple trackers (tracking for SiteB and its own different property?)
- Alternatively, is the tracking for SiteB configured for outbound link tracking?

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

- Is the tracking for SiteB setup the same way for SiteA, with SiteB page being redirected to being on a subdomain of siteB that is also using its own tracking code for a different property?

It's like this:

Site A -> Redirect (doesn't get tracked) -> Subdomain of site A

Site B -> Redirect (does get tracked) -> Subdomain of site A

Both the subdomains are the same (it's our store), and it has its own tracking code.

- Is the redirected page setup with tracking code for multiple trackers (tracking for SiteB and its own different property?)

Not sure if this is what you mean, but the "redirect" page uses the correct tracking code and domain, depending on which site is being accessed. I have verified this using the GA debug endpoint.

- Alternatively, is the tracking for SiteB configured for outbound link tracking?

I'm not sure what you mean by this – is there a setting somewhere for this?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Ok so they both get redirected to same page subdomain.siteA with its own tracking code

- Does the tracking code on SiteB match the tracking code on siteA or subdomain.siteA.. or does SiteB have tracking code for a 3rd different property/tracking id

How is the redirect triggered? Via a click on a link.. or.. something else?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No, all three sites have a separate tracking code.

Right now the redirect is triggered on the server-side, which also calls GA with the pageview.

However, I've today implemented this in client-side JS instead. I will see how that works, as per: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1136920?hl=en

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hmm ok.. i was wondering if for some reason the redirect isnt being tracked by siteA because its a subdomain of siteA and for that reason, GA is not considering it as an outbound link

If you are using something like ga autotrack, you can specify/configure what is seen/tracked as an outgoing link

https://ga-dev-tools.appspot.com/autotrack/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yeah I was thinking the same thing at first, but it shouldn’t really make a difference, as what I’m really tracking is something like “/redirect?url=…”, which is just an internal pageview, and should be counted as such. It’s up to me to know and interpret it as external using a goal, in my case.