Analytics
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Page Title not set, but pages have titles

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When viewing content by title I'm seeing a disturbingly large amount of pageviews for pages with title (not set), even though those pages also appear under the correct title. The pages show up in two places, one with the title and one without. There seems to be nothing wrong with the Analytics implementation and I've confirmed that all of these pages do have title tags.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Luke S
April 2017

Re: Page Title not set, but pages have titles

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Luke,

Do you have any events firing on page load? That can cause this kind of behavior. Also the GATC should come at the end of the header - after the title tag. lastly you may want to check for any rogue JavaScript that is modifying the title tag or very long titles.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Luke S
April 2017

Re: Page Title not set, but pages have titles

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Luke,

Do you have any events firing on page load? That can cause this kind of behavior. Also the GATC should come at the end of the header - after the title tag. lastly you may want to check for any rogue JavaScript that is modifying the title tag or very long titles.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo,

I also have a similar problem. I checked for events by creating a segment with filter condition to include sessions exactly matching '(not set)'. This shows zero events in Behaviour->events.

Page source shows that I have a Google Tag Manager code just after <header> followed by some meta tags followed by <title>. Any possibility if this might be creating (not set) titles in my GA report?

Are there any other possibilities (other than the JavaScript option you mentioned in your reply above) ?

Thanks & regards,

Vaibhav

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You may need to move your GA code to fire after your <title> code.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the help, everyone. Theo was the closest with his comment on events. The error was actually in code earlier on the page. Variable names that were used for GA event tracking had been changed without updating all of the dependent GA code. When the Javascript attempted to call the now non-existent labels it threw an error that caused the entire GA script to fail...sort of a cascading playing card effect.