Analytics
5.9K members online now
5.9K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Outcomes of Having Two Analytics Codes on one website.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Hi There, 

What are the impacts of adding a second Analytics code to a website? Here's the scenario, a marketing agency has been working with a client for a couple years and they have been using one tracking code. Now they hired a second SEO company and that company wants to add their own (second) tracking code.

What are the main reasons why this is a bad idea? Or does it really matter?

Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky
2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Colan
December 2015

Re: Outcomes of Having Two Analytics Codes on one website.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Colan,

There's no problems with having multiple tracking codes on a site, so long as they are implemented properly. What needs to happen is that the tracking objects that are created need to be distinguished by the use of specific names. Also need to make sure that if there's cross-domain tracking between the parent site and the secondary site, then that's done correctly too.

Generally speaking, there's no problem at all. You can read more about that here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1032400?hl=en
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Thanks Nicky Y

Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Colan,

Nicky is absolutely correct. Having multiple Universal Analytics tracking codes has no issues, but as soon as you mix Universal and Classic it gets more tricky.

Out of curiosity, have you ever gone into your Analytics account and seen how many Universal & Classic Analytics Google has running on your account Smiley Happy I have 8 Universal Analytics and 3 Classic Analytics trackers in mine (trackers owned by Google, running in my Analytics) . I would love to know what they do with them all Smiley Happy