AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Organic search traffic is cut by 100% for random sites.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Three of our sites are missing half the usual organic search traffic for Q4 2015.

We have ruled out any problem on our end.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Organic search traffic is cut by 100% for random sites.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
If you have been linked with you Google Search Console account, check the Acquisition-Search Engine Optimization reports to see what queries and/or landing pages have been affected.
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
No, the problem is on Google's end.
30% of traffic hit data has been sheared off of several sites, gone completely.

The affected sites have the same problem: Around 50% of usual organic traffic is not reported.

awstats shows the actual hits.

No filters, no notifications, no apparent cause of the problem is possible to be found from our end.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Since you have another data source that you are comparing to, you should compare the two and see if you can detect any pattern for the missing traffic. Mobile browsers, specific sources, user agents...

To take a problem to any kind of resolution you would have to be very specific. is it 50% of 300 sessions or of 30,000? is the traffic misclassified as direct or referral, or is it missing completely? is it bot traffic that Google automatically excludes (yes, they do filter some spam)? Is it users that have turned on the 'do not track' options in their browsers?
Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The pattern was detected.

Web properties which have steadily risen for years suddenly show a 40-50% drop in organic traffic for Q4 of 2015.

The traffic is not misclassified. It has been omitted. The actual hits in cpanel show the analytics numbers missing thousands of hits.

It's very odd, because analytics is usually accurate. But now we can no longer use it, because our numbers will wrong forever.

We have dealt with advanced analytics issues before, and solved all of them, generally by using the debugger or the Query API etc.

But in this case, there is nothing to go on.

The only thing I can guess is that Google changed things are begun omitting or blocking traffic it did not before.

However, I don't understand how millions of people aren't going berserk with incomplete data.