AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Only some custom dimensions appearing in GA frontend

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to track different ecommerce checkout options by zipcode, the objective being to to know the average order value per zipcode (for example).

I have 4 custom dimensions that I set in GA: Day, Time of Day, Postcode, and Delivery Type. I am setting the values before I send by event with this (part of a wrpper function which supplies the index, etc):

`ga('set', 'dimension'+i, value);`

and when I use the debug version of GA I can see that everything appears to be set correctly....

Screen Shot 2016-02-02 at 11.05.44 AM.png

However there are a few issues. First, the postcode is the only dimension that actually has any data in the GA interface. My other dimensions show no data.

Second, the dimensions persist from this event forward to all subsequent events. Do I need to use something other than a Custom Dimension? Custom Variable? Metric? ....?

The objective is to be able to analyze Day, Time, Zipcode, and delivery type (strings except zipcode) data as it applies to orders, and we also want to track the zipcode of other actions like newletter signup. Are dimensions even what I want to use? Can dimensions even be strings? Do I need to set "Custom Variables" in addition to Dimensions?

Lots of questions. GA's documentation is quite horrible if you don't already speak the language, as it were.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Aaron S
February 2016

Re: Only some custom dimensions appearing in GA frontend

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. I'm sure this is the cause.
Just wait another 24h and this should work perfectly.

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
What "scope" did you set for these dimensions in GA?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hit scope. We have it kind of hanging off the checkout_options handler in our angular app. Honestly, if there's a way to get average order value (ecommerce) from checkout options over a time period, I'll change my question to that. I couldn't find anything in the GA admin. here's an idea of the lifecycle:

// First we set the action
ga('ec:setAction','checkout_option', {
step: step,
option: label+': '+option
});
// Then set the dimension value. This is a loop and we set multiple dimensions for this hit.
ga('set', 'dimension'+i, value);

// Then we send the event
ga('send', 'event', eventOptions);

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Check "Behavior > Events > Top events" if you can see any data for your custom dimensions. They should be there.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Well, that's the issue - When I select Postcode for a secondary dimension on that screen, I see the postcodes I expect. I see no data for any of the other dimensions.

I should be able to send multiple dimensions in the same hit, right?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Yes, you can.
When did you create these dimensions in GA Admin?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I created all of them last night. Are you saying there could be a different lag time between postcodes and the other data?

Thanks a bunch!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Aaron S
February 2016

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. I'm sure this is the cause.
Just wait another 24h and this should work perfectly.