Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Old Tracking Code -> replace with new?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

I got 1 website and 1 blog, www.relaxingmassagetherapy.co.uk and www.relaxingmassagetherapy.com, I would like to replace my old tracking code in my website www.relaxingmassagetherapy.co.uk, I had more traffic from the old tracking code.

Could you advice me please if I can do that and what to do on the other blog?

See bellow the old tracking code:

<script type="text/javascript"><!--
var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://ssl." : "http://www.");
document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));
// --></script>

<script type="text/javascript"><!--
var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("xxxxxxx");
pageTracker._trackPageview();
// --></script>
</p>

thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Cleuza S
July

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
Putting the old tracking code from a different website onto a differnt site, does not automatically mean the new site is going to have more or better traffic. 
The tracking code is not responsible for getting your site traffic.. it just tracks the visitors once they arrive to your site.

There is tracking code installed for UA-21452632-1 however its been installed twice which means a lot of the data you are getting will be inflated and incorrect.

I suggest removing the tracking code that is not installed via the GADWP plugin

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Re: Old Tracking Code -> replace with new?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

relaxingmassagetherapy.co.uk already has the current version of the tracking code installed for Property ID UA-21452632-1
Do you have access to that Account and/or Analytics Property?

I'm not quite understanding what you mean when you say
"I had more traffic with the old tracking code"

edited to add

www.relaxingmassagetherapy.com also has current tracking code installed for UA-5544658-

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi I want add the old tracking code for www.relaxingmassagetherapy.com. is Ok?

Can I do that? Is on my old website?

thanks

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Cleuza S
July

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Putting the old tracking code from a different website onto a differnt site, does not automatically mean the new site is going to have more or better traffic. 
The tracking code is not responsible for getting your site traffic.. it just tracks the visitors once they arrive to your site.

There is tracking code installed for UA-21452632-1 however its been installed twice which means a lot of the data you are getting will be inflated and incorrect.

I suggest removing the tracking code that is not installed via the GADWP plugin

Old Tracking Code -&gt; replace with new?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

its not diffrent website, is the sane website but was changed before

Old Tracking Code -&gt; replace with new?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Correct me if I am wrong but it sounds like you want to use the .com websites Analytics code because it has more history in it.

If that is the case, you need to find the UA-XXXXXXX-1 code from the old website (we cannot see it as it redirects). The code you pasted at first is incomplete for use with the new analytics. 

Login to Analytics, in the top left where you select a website, the code is under Properties and Apps. Will look like UA-XXXXXXX-1 but with numbers instead of XXXXXX. 

Use that ID from your old Analytics, and paste it into your new Analytics tracking code replace what you have. Then when you access your old Analytics account, you will see the new websites traffic showing up.