Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Non-standard implementation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I noticed that the traffic reported from Google analytics had a very sudden drop after I changed my static website to Joomla.

Google analytics displayed a message: "Missing Tracking Code".

Although I could find no problems, I regenerated and copied the GA code to just above the </head> tag.  Then checked again.

According to google Tag Assistant, the google analytics code works perfectly.

However when from "google Tag Assistant" I do a recording (Google TAG ASSISTANT RECORDINGS), it reports warnings:
Non-standard implementation.

This is the website:  https://learn-greek-online.com/

Could someone check the website and see if the code is really correctly placed and why it gives these errors?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I run a couple of more tests and the results are very interesting.

One test I run on the same of pages that had errors before.  I stayed in each page about 10 sec.  NO WARNINGS were reported.

I run a second test, almost the same pages, but really fast this time.  0,5 - 1 sec between each click.  Most of the pages had this warning:  

Non-standard implementation.

One of the pages reported that there were TWO tags present.  Which of course it is not true.

I think it is GA that has an issue here.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bob P
March 2017

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Bob P

I'm not seeing any issues at this stage, have you cleared your browser cache and cookies prior to testing?

Sometimes if 3rd party sites are providing content such as embedded video, or content via iframes etc, it will include their own tracking too which shows up as another ga tag on the site in question

How does the tracking code get added to the following page:
https://learn-greek-online.com/ask-greek/
The cookieDomain seems to be entered incorrectly as learn-greek-online,
By default it is set to auto (it is for the other site pages).

Also if you are tracking ppl making payments to paypal and similar, the payment providedrs or gateway url should usually be added to the GA Referral Exclusion List (your site is added to the list by default)

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Re: Non-standard implementation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Bronwyn

Yes, the tests are run with a clear cache, history, cookies etc.

I just fixed the pages under https://learn-greek-online.com/ask-greek/

Now they all have the "auto".

I do not see tags from other sites, just mine.

Did you see the warnings I see?  Here is a screenshot:   https://s9.postimg.org/mg4ak22xb/ga-warning.png

I am not tracking people making payments.  But if I did, would I (for example) add www.paypal.com in the exclusion list?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

BTW, after those changes, I forced GA to "Check Again" the problem of "Missing Tracking Code". 

Now GA reports:  "Resolved"

Now I am waiting to see if the traffic reported is back to the previous levels.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I'm not seeing any issues with it when i check the site, so hopefully it should all be ok for you :-)

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

They peobprob coulf

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.