AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Non-interactive event is tracking fine, but is affecting bounce rate

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I originally set up the code wrong - or so I think I did.  The site's bounce rate has dropped drastically.  I have since changed my code, but the bounce rate still seems low.  Below is the code I have implemented.

ga('send', 'event', 'Percent of Page Viewed', callbackData.documentLocation, callbackData.scrollPercent +'', {
  nonInteraction: true
});

Any suggestions as to why the bounce rate continues to be low?  They have gone from high 70-80s to single digits.

Please help

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Non-interactive event is tracking fine, but is affecting bounce ra

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dawn,

The first question would be when did you make the change and are you still looking at a date range that includes pre change data?

ie did you make the change 2 days ago and still looking at 'this month' as a date range?

Reason I ask is that your event looks good and it should be working fine.

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Dawn,

I am not a developer but what is with the " after your callbackData.scrollPercent +''

Use the GA Debugger plugin for chrome and look to see if your event is truly are carrying the non-interaction flag.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-analytics-debugger/jnkmfdileelhofjcijamephohjechhna...

If you are using it, you will see the flag for your event as: nonInteraction (&ni) 1

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I think it was because I already had google tag manager installed and before my ga send event I had ga('send','pageview'); which was already being done by google tag manager? I have commented out the pageview and monitoring to see if the bounce rate increases. Thanks for that tip. I did see it was sending 1 for that value nonInteraction, so it must not be my event code which is causing the lower bounce rate.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Dawn.

No problem. So you are using GTM to deploy GA but then adding an event outside of GTM? Or are you pushing a listener in via GTM's custom HTML tag?

If not in GTM, why not? And if so, I defer to Simo Ahava king of GTM dev Smiley Happy

http://www.simoahava.com/analytics/custom-event-listeners-gtm/

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn