Analytics
6.7K members online now
6.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Non-interactive event is tracking fine, but is affecting bounce rate

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I originally set up the code wrong - or so I think I did.  The site's bounce rate has dropped drastically.  I have since changed my code, but the bounce rate still seems low.  Below is the code I have implemented.

ga('send', 'event', 'Percent of Page Viewed', callbackData.documentLocation, callbackData.scrollPercent +'', {
  nonInteraction: true
});

Any suggestions as to why the bounce rate continues to be low?  They have gone from high 70-80s to single digits.

Please help

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Non-interactive event is tracking fine, but is affecting bounce ra

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dawn,

The first question would be when did you make the change and are you still looking at a date range that includes pre change data?

ie did you make the change 2 days ago and still looking at 'this month' as a date range?

Reason I ask is that your event looks good and it should be working fine.

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Dawn,

I am not a developer but what is with the " after your callbackData.scrollPercent +''

Use the GA Debugger plugin for chrome and look to see if your event is truly are carrying the non-interaction flag.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-analytics-debugger/jnkmfdileelhofjcijamephohjechhna...

If you are using it, you will see the flag for your event as: nonInteraction (&ni) 1

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I think it was because I already had google tag manager installed and before my ga send event I had ga('send','pageview'); which was already being done by google tag manager? I have commented out the pageview and monitoring to see if the bounce rate increases. Thanks for that tip. I did see it was sending 1 for that value nonInteraction, so it must not be my event code which is causing the lower bounce rate.

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Dawn.

No problem. So you are using GTM to deploy GA but then adding an event outside of GTM? Or are you pushing a listener in via GTM's custom HTML tag?

If not in GTM, why not? And if so, I defer to Simo Ahava king of GTM dev Smiley Happy

http://www.simoahava.com/analytics/custom-event-listeners-gtm/

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn