Analytics
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

No tracking code applied, but the analytic showing traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For your information, I have not include the JS tracking code yet in my website, but I can see the page views graph is moving and the sessions is increasing from the links as listed in the result below:

Appreciate your help.

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eddy G
December 2015

Re: No tracking code applied, but the analytic showing traffic

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Eddy G,

Unfortunately, this is definitely the activity of bots.

Here is a great article written by one of the members in this forum that explains in great details what the bots are, and also ways to minimise their impact to your site:

http://www.analyticsedge.com/2014/12/removing-referral-spam-google-analytics/

Hope this helps.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eddy G
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Eddy G,

Unfortunately, this is definitely the activity of bots.

Here is a great article written by one of the members in this forum that explains in great details what the bots are, and also ways to minimise their impact to your site:

http://www.analyticsedge.com/2014/12/removing-referral-spam-google-analytics/

Hope this helps.
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Nicky,

How is this bot activity? I mean, how are visits being tracked in the GA account if there is no code on the site?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello,

I've got the same problem. I removed the tracking code completely on my website for over a month and stil get referrals. How is it possible that they crawl/spam my website based on my analytics code when there isn't one on the site.

I hope someone has the answer so i can fix this and start with a fresh datasheet.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @AdamC and @RoyV,

Great question, and here's a snippet from an article that explains how Ghost Referral spam (as they're unofficially called) logs activity in your GA account:

The vast majority of spam is this type. They are called ghosts because they never access your site. It is important to keep this in mind, as it's key to creating a more efficient solution for managing spam.

As unusual as it sounds, this type of spam doesn't have any interaction with your site at all. You may wonder how that is possible since one of the main purposes of GA is to track visits to our sites.

They do it by using the Measurement Protocol, which allows people to send data directly to Google Analytics' servers. Using this method, and probably randomly generated tracking codes (UA-XXXXX-1) as well, the spammers leave a "visit" with fake data, without even knowing who they are hitting.

You can read more about that here: https://moz.com/blog/stop-ghost-spam-in-google-analytics-with-one-filter

Hope this helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks! I found a good article in the meantime on ohow.com explaining ghost referrals and two methods of eliminating them from your data. If you're interested I can post the URL.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Oops! I just followed my own link and realized that it wasn't the correct website , it's not that one but it's ohow.co

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
No worries, @Adam C,

Actually, the article I linked to is by the same individual that writes on ohow.co (and he's also a member of this forum!).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
O haha thats where I found it! Thanks Nicky! :-D