AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

No Real Time Traffic Again

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello again this is the second time since March I am having the same issue with GA. My code is installed properly but I have hardly no traffic since about 1 pm est today. I noticed I had zero real time visitors and immediately went to my host because the only time that happens is when my site is down.  They assured me all is fine on their end. I've search the code on my site and it is in there. 

My traffic has been dropping since March when this happened the first time.

I am at a loss here. In 8 years of blogging I have never had an issue with my GA code. Any suggestions?

UA-22748897-2

Arlene

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Arlene M
May 2017

Top Contributor
# 11
Top Contributor

The 3rd party ones should not affect your own tracking or its accuracy.
as per my previous reply.. the plugin you are using renames the global ga object

to something else so as to not end up with conflicts in relation to anything else that may

also be installed and using it.

Regarding 3rd party/partner trackers and setups etc. i cant really help you with those..as they all customize
their own trackers/tracking setups. So.. if they are not working correctly, then you need to follow up
with those 3rd party/partners.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

The website url will also be helpful for troubleshooting

Thanks
Bronwyn

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry I updated the post after I realized I forgot it. flouronmyface.com

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Arlene,

Real time can be iffy at times. As long as you have the right tracking code installed (which I checked you do), and your standard reports are getting updated there is nothing to be worried about. Your traffic drop may have other reasons.

Cheers,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Buddy

Thanks for the reply. That is the issue. The code is there but the stats aren't. The last time this happened I put it off on myself thinking I had accidentally uninstalled my code. Now that it has happened again and I know I didn't do anything to the code it leads me to believe this is a Google issue. Ironically I just had a GA audit done and my set up was fine yesterday. That is a bit more than an "iffy" drop in traffic. 

Here is a screenshot from GA stats from today. http://flouronmyface.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/GA-05-10-7.jpg

I also installed another real time stat counter today and there are plenty of visitors on site but GA is not showing them. 

Arlene

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Bronwyn

I removed the GA code and installed the MonsterInsights plugin. When I search my header code I am seeing the GA code (UA-22748897-2) twice but I don't know if that is the way this plugin renders the GA code. Can you check it for me and let me know if this is the way it is suppose to be? Thanks!

Arlene

Re: No Real Time Traffic Again

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Arlene M :-)

I'm not seeing any issues with it via the source code... 

this is the code being inserted by the plugin which seems fine and doesnt show any issues when checking it with

google tag assistant

<!-- This site uses the Google Analytics by MonsterInsights plugin v6.1.7 - Using Analytics tracking - https://www.monsterinsights.com/ -->
<script type="text/javascript" data-cfasync="false">
	/* Function to detect opted out users */
	function __gaTrackerIsOptedOut() {
		return document.cookie.indexOf(disableStr + '=true') > -1;
	}

/* Disable tracking if the opt-out cookie exists. */
	var disableStr = 'ga-disable-UA-22748897-2';
	if ( __gaTrackerIsOptedOut() ) {
		window[disableStr] = true;
	}

/* Opt-out function */
	function __gaTrackerOptout() {
	  document.cookie = disableStr + '=true; expires=Thu, 31 Dec 2099 23:59:59 UTC; path=/';
	  window[disableStr] = true;
	}

(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
		(i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
		m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
	})(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','__gaTracker');

__gaTracker('create', 'UA-22748897-2', 'auto');
	__gaTracker('set', 'forceSSL', true);
	__gaTracker('require', 'displayfeatures');
	__gaTracker('send','pageview');
</script>
<!-- / Google Analytics by MonsterInsights -->

Make sure you have a view with no filters applied.. also be aware i think this plugin automatically blocks admin visits from being

tracked by analytics when you are logged into WP. So if you are testing real time tracking and dont see your own visits, that may be why.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Arlene,

I would suggest dropping the plugin and placing the Analytics code manually inside the <head> tags in your header file. The plugin is also forcing SSL and that could also be causing problems. When browsing your site using Tag Assistant I am also seeing 4 different Analytics UA codes and multiple Tag Managers. It is really a best practice to only use 1 tag manager code and 1 Analytics UA code (if possible). Using multiple trackers might be causing problems. See: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1032400 and https://support.google.com/tagassistant/answer/3207128?ref_topic=2947092#multiple_tags

So, my suggestion: remove all Google Analytics plugins and place only 1 Analytics code manually inside the <head> and test in realtime Analytics if you are seeing any active sessions. If not, make sure you are not excluding your own IP.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@bramvdh

Usually a plugin is the preferred method for adding the tracking code snippet, unless a theme has a built in theme admin option available for adding scripts to the head and/or footer section of the active theme.
Manually hard coding it into the active theme's header.php file will cause issues when theme updates occur, usually the result being is that the tracking gets overwritten and removed.. which leads to no tracking and having to reinstall it..again.. each time a theme update occurs.

Regarding the other trackers and GTM container codes, they appear to be for 3rd party and partner services and should not be an issue.

The WP plugin being used renames the global ga object so as to take other services into account that might also be using the variable avoiding any conflict with them.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Bronwyn

Thanks for checking the plugin install. Since installing the plugin I am seeing real time visitors in the GA dashboard.

When I check my site with the Tag Assistant I'm seeing a message that there are Multiple GA Tags detected and Multiple installs of Tag Manager installed. I've looked at all of the codes and yes they are from third parties- my ad network and blogging networks I work for who collect my GA page views.

One of them is firing the multiple GA tags detected message that was not there back in March when I lost all page views the first time and was checking my site with GA tag assistant.

Will these third party tags cause my page views to be bloated? 

I'm not sure about this one tag though (#4) . It is pulling the info I have in my meta data (my site Title), a hashtag I used in a recent post and something to do with Pinterest is all showing up in the code and it says "non standard implementation".

Something is going on with my site that I can't figure out. This is the second time this has happened in three months. It's not just that I lose the live page views I lose all page views in my GA dashboard. I also lose my ad money for that period because the ad network is collecting my page views through their GA tags.

Arlene