Analytics
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Navigation Summary - Doesn't Support Cross Domain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have several domains and sub-domains. When I drill down in my site content and view the navigation summary for individual page paths I can see the next and previous page paths for all my sub-domains. The activity between different domains is not shown though. For example, the navigation summary for a.domain.com, b.domain.com, and c.domain.com all show activity between these pages. I have the same tracking code set up on domain-2.com, and domain-3.com, and neither of these domains show up in the navigation summary for any of the sub-domains of domain.com. The navigation summary for domain-2.com and domain-3.com show only traffic within that same domain. So, traffic between sub-domains is showing up correctly, but different domains do not cross over.

I read that analytics.js does site linking automatically between sub-domains, but it must be configured for different domains.

I have left the tracking code without site linking on domain.com and all the sub-domains. For domain-2.com and domain-3.com, I have used the same tracking code but with the site linking configuration included (just to test site linking between those two domains before I put it on my primary domain). Still, the nav summary does not show any links between domain-2.com and domain-3.com even though I have created traffic doing that myself (and watched it in real-time). 

I do not click links to traverse between domains, I just enter the domains into the URL bar and go back and forth like that.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Navigation Summary - Doesn't Support Cross Domain

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

in order to pass sessions between domains you must have the user id in your URL:
www.domain.com -> www.domain-2.com/?ga=1.2.342566224

Otherwise GA does not have a clue that your session started from another domain and should be stitched together.
In most cases this is done via adding specific code to links that point from domain to another.
--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, that's how I understood it. Isn't this the purpose of 'site linking' in the tracking code? This is the method I followed: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034342?hl=en

I've used both the tag manager and modified the code myself. I still do not see cross-domain traffic.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
but do you see that url parameter when you mive from domain to another? because without it GA cannot track cross domain traffic..
--

Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have a clarification regarding cross domain tracking

From a new microsite with a different domain name Visitors would land on my main domain.

I have GTM on my main domain and i have updated the cross domain variable to include the new microsite domain name and all the allowlinker is set to true and

it is firing on all pages.

Now on my microsite i have added the below tags

ga('create', 'UA-xxxxxxxx-x', 'auto', {'allowLinker': true});
ga('require', 'linker');
ga('linker:autoLink', ['main domain name alone] );

I could see the _ga=1.98408732.2092043187.14556416 getting appended when visitors from microsite land on my main site. However in Goals i dont see the

microsite data (which is step 1) and all i see is the main domain data (Which is step 2 & Step 3)

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
So in Goals report where there should be microsite landing page you have Entrance, right?

Do you see your microsite as referral?
In that case:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830
--