Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Multiple cross-domain tracking

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi guys! 

Gotta a little case for you all. 

I need to add a list of more than 100 domains for cross-domain tracking. The thing is, I'm not sure if adding them only to the Referral Exclusion List will do the job. I'm wondering if I would need to add all of them in GTM even if it's seems barely feasible because of characters limit. 

And even though I added some already, the Goal A set up on the form page (which is generated on a domain from within a list of 100+ domains) is showing as direct traffic for all the goal completions which is surely untrue. 

Has anyone deal with that kind of cross-domain tracking?

Thx!

P.S. Yes, there's a GTM code added on all the domains (100+)

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Samuel,

Sounds like a dream client....  probably has a lot of iframes too... Smiley Very Happy

Well, if you've added them to the referral exclusion, you should see the traffic as direct - that's the affect of Referral Exclusion as direct does not overwrite anything. 

Have you tried to add the entire list?  You can always break it up with additional tags and variables if needed.  (yuck!)

Best of luck!

-Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Right now, I removed my GA tag and added GA as a custom HTML tag with the whole list of domains to track (on which GTM is already set up). 

I'll see what it'll do.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Samuel,

Just curious, did GTM actually fail saving the variable with the list of domains? 

Best,

Theo

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

No! It surprised myself too! I had more than 500+ domains Smiley Wink