AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Multilanguage site - GA account structure

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

I have a question as it comes to the GA account structure when you want to track multilanguge sites.

What the Google Analytics account should look like if I have my site under domain.com, and other sites for multiple countries that are in the catalogues of the main domain like - domain.com/us , domain.com/au, domain.com/ru and so on. Of course i want to track the overall performance of sites and also every site separetely. In this case there should be one property with a non filtered viev with all the contry catalogues (just no filters), and mutiple vievs for every country? Only one tracker needed to track it properly?

And my second question is what is the best way to implement the code trough gtm?

Hope i have described it clearly, please help

Regards

1 Expert replyverified_user

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello, Jakub, 

Yes, that is correct, you will have a property with more views: one view with no country filters and then a different view for each country. 

I am not sure I understand your second question "the best way to implement the code trough gtm". After installing the GTM code on all your pages, you simply set up a universal analytics tag, trak type=pageview, triggered on All pages.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6163791?hl=en

This way you'll start tracking basic data. Afterwards you can implement additional tags for a customized tracking considering your needs. 

Good luck

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Anca Smiley Happy Thx 4 your reply.

What if there will be more than 25 countries (views) ? How about making a separate tracker for every country? 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Oh, in that case you're right, separate trackers would do the thing, but I only know about them in theory, never used it. Let's see what others have to say.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well i have Analytics 360 if thats makes something easier. I know there are rollup reports but im wondering how to implement it properly trough GTM. At the moment there are only 2 trackers at each site (probably duplicating the data).

I think it should look like:

domain.com/en UA-XXXX-1  and UA-XXXX-2

domain.com/de UA-XXXX-1  and UA-XXXX-3

domain.com/gb UA-XXXX-1  and UA-XXXX-4

But it unfortunately looks like this:

domain.com/en UA-XXXX-1  and UA-XXXX-2

domain.com/de UA-XXXX-1  and UA-XXXX-2

domain.com/gb UA-XXXX-1  and UA-XXXX-2

Maybe someone can give me some advice how to set it up correctly. THX 4 help!

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Ok - a general question. When you say you are using Google Analytics 360, do you mean that you are paying for Premium? If this is the case, then you should have a certified partner who can help you. As a premium customer, you would also have 100 views rather than 25 to play with. You will also have the ability to ask Google directly for help with regard to setting up a roll-up property. Google after Roll-Reporting and 360 accounts.

If you are not a premium customer it may still be worth while contacting a certified Google partner and seeing if they can do anything to get the number of views you have access to increased. 

I've worked on similar sites and the set-up I preferred - assuming that everything is on the same domain - is as as you and @Anca Banica describe i.e. separate views for each different set of content. (With this set-up you also need to spend some time thinking about the implications of this i.e. how you are tracking visitors who enter the site in one catalogue and then move over to another). Pay attention to you filter set-up as well - if you have, for example, domain.com/us and then domain.com/useful-information a sloppy regular expression (looking for /us) will filter in, or out, inappropriate content. As you say, you need to include a view which has all the data (but still has your housekeeping filters present e.g. spam, own visits etc).

With regard to your current set-up, as long as the IDs are different then duplication should not be a problem. You can see if this is occurring by checking your bounce rate (which would be ridiculously low) and your page views (which would be insanely high).

If you are, in fact, using the regular free Google Analytics then GTM supports the use of extra trackers though I'd have this as a last resort. Instead, I'd be tempted to make the best use of your 25 views (assuming a friendly certified partner cannot help you with that) and also look at some form of dashboarding solution to supplement your data. You'd have to accept that any deeper analysis would require the use of on fly filters and segments on your main view.

Please get in touch again, but - if you are a premium customer then you should have a certified partner to help you (it's part of the service agreement).

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jakub,

Did you manage to sort this out?

I've managed to do it using 2 UA tags in GTM and multiple GA properties (instead of views), to get that result. So I've added a GTM tag to send data to the main property (roll-up) using UA-XXXX-1 id, and another GTM tag to send data to the individual country properties - here I used a regex table variable for the other UA ids and they get matched automatically. And this way I can also add multiple views if needed to each GA property.