Analytics
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Moving from ga.js to analytics.js - huge drop in users, sessions stayed the same

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

We recently switched from ga.js to analytics.js, default implementations for both, nothing too complicated but we noticed a noticed a big drop in the number of users being reported while sessions stayed the same.

I'm not concerned about this, I just want to understand why this would happen, I imagine it is tied into moving from legacy to universal analytics.

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Moving from ga.js to analytics.js - huge drop in users, sessions stayed the same

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Shreedhan,

A big change in user count isn't really expected.  Did anything else change?  Site redesign, account, property?   Code placement from body to head? Did the old code account for any subdomains with a set domainName declaration? 

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Re: Moving from ga.js to analytics.js - huge drop in users, sessions stayed the same

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo

The old code used _setDomainName to set it to the root domain, from what I can see this was implemented correctly. The current code, sets the cookieDomain to auto.

_gaq.push(['_setDomainName', '.domain.com']);

There's a m.domain.com mobile site that also sets the same cookie to the root domain and this isn't using analytics.js for tracking, it's using the old code, could that be something? The mobile subdomain tracks to a different property too.

The code placement hasn't changed both, ga.js and analytics.js were towards the end of the <head> of the page.

Hope that helped provide some further insight!

Thanks

Shree

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Shree,

Yes that is the problem.  The dot preceding the domain is different from auto.   The dot makes a difference and was only really needed with sub.sub.domain installations.  The auto equivalent is domain.com and your mobile setup is trying to use .domain.com.  I suggest going responsive and in the interim, change to the same UA script on your m. sub domain.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn