AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Mobile Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Just want to ask something, I'm just confused, why does my account still gets mobile visits even when the mobile version has no GA tracking code installed on it?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Mobile Tracking

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Ailyn,

that should be just normal behaviour because there are surely some users with mobile devices accessing the desktop version of your website.

You may set up a custom report (flat table) using hostname, device category, operating system, and browser as dimensions and some metrics to explore that further.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Christoph for your reply, what about for single responsive website? We have two templates, one for desktop version, the other one is for mobile version (both having the same URL). Our mobile version template doesn't have GA tracking code on it, only the desktop version . When you access the site using your mobile, the mobile version should be loaded, same goes with the desktop version. I'm just wondering from where did those mobile traffic came from if the mobile version doesn't have tracking code. Thanks!

[ Edited ]
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

You can easily debug on the website with GA debugger:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/jnkmfdileelhofjcijamephohjechhna

You can check in chrome, console tab with 'Preserve log' turned ON.

You can check with Device mode: https://developers.google.com/web/tools/chrome-devtools/iterate/device-mode/?hl=en

Best Regards,
GA Guru.

Do 'Star' or 'Accept as Solution'

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Ailyn,

that depends on how and how accurate your website is recognizing desktop vs. mobile users. Given the broad range of user agents, such a separation will never be 100% water-proof. Is there an instant redirect or a common first pageview for both desktop and mobile users? Check in your page report which pages are actually accessed by mobile users (insert "device type" as secondary dimension).

And consider to implement tracking for mobile pages as well to get a feeling what numbers of mobile users you have on your site and how they are behaving.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi GA Guru,

I've done that too, when I checked the site with device mode, I can't see Analytics code on it,only on the desktop. I'm still wondering where the "mobile traffic" came from. So sorry for being such a pain, I just want to know the reason behind it. Thanks!

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,
Can you share the website url?

It might be spam traffic.

Best Regards,
GA Guru.

Do 'Star' or 'Accept as Solution'

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am really thankful that you are taking time helping me, I just have another question, when you access the site on a mobile emulator, will it fall under mobile traffic? Thanks!

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes.