Analytics
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Missing tracking code error

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

was searching in Internet and in community, but didn't find a solution.

In GA I get the message "Missing tracking code". Since one year GA was working without problems. I am working with Magento and have placed my UA-69816501-1 number in the Admin panel. But since some days I got a.m. message and no informations about visitors on my site.

Website is www.horseandhunter.com

thanks for any hint what is going wrong.

Helmut

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Helmut M
September 2016

Re: Missing tracking code error

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Helmut M,

I have verified that there is no GA tracking tag present on your website. I used Google Tag Assistant and then a visual scan of your source code. 

You will need to add it and then use Google Tag Assistant (free Google Chrome web browser extension). 

Kind Regards,

James

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Helmut M
September 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Helmut M,

I have verified that there is no GA tracking tag present on your website. I used Google Tag Assistant and then a visual scan of your source code. 

You will need to add it and then use Google Tag Assistant (free Google Chrome web browser extension). 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, Mr.Clemens was right.

There were no tracking codes placed in either of the pages of our site.

Please make sure you paste the code in the head section and in all the pages of your website and verify it in analytics.

Tip:
1) I would strongly prefer you to go ahead with property level 2 or more since, there are possibilities to get hit by several spam referrals to your analytics account if you have a tracking code of 1 (UA-69816501-1) which you seem to have. So, please go ahead with (UA-69816501-2 or more then it) to avoid spam traffics hitting your data.
2) Do create several views like, unfiltered view, test view and default view with filters in order to help you work a lot more better in the future. Since, you are going to start just now. It will be useful to create in the beginning itself. It will help you to see the normal data, filtered data and testing data at the same time.

For better reference: read this article http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2015/12/10/basic-google-analytics-filters/
Hope this might be helpful.

Thanks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Clemens and Nirmal,

thanks for your advice. I will try.

As I work with Magento I only had to enter my GA number in the Admin panel and all worked well. Code was automatically placed on all pages. Suddenly the code disappeared. Although I know how and where to place code in webpages, in Magento with all the templates it is difficult to see where to place the code. 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Helmut M,

You are very welcome. 

It could be that another admin or Magento support removed it for some odd reason or that an update did so. 

Open the your Magento Admin area and navigate to System -> Configuration -> Sales -> Google API and expand the Google Analytics section. Pick the Yes option from the Enable drop-down menu. Enter the Google Analytics account number in the Account number field and click on the Save Config button. That's it, the Google Analytics code is added to your site.

Then use the link I provided and use Google Tag Assistant to verify the tracking code is firing correctly.

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For all who have similar problems

In Magento I had activated one year ago GA via System --> Configuration --> Sales --> Google API.

Since some days this is not working anymore, No GA code on the site.

Now I copied the GA code from GA website into System --> Configuration --> Design --> HTML Head --> into the field 'scripts'

and it is working again.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Helmut M,

Thanks for the update. Please check your tracking code via Google Tag Assistant every so often since updates to your Magento software or theme can sometimes remove the GA code.  

Kind Regards,

James