Analytics
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Missing Random Transactions & Shipping Not Tracked

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, 

We have a new programming team and I only know enough about code to be dangerous. So, I noticed that we are missing random ecommerce transactions over the past few weeks (it may have been happening earlier, I don't know). I checked the filters and compared to raw data, so it's not that. 

I did notice that we have older ga.js code and not the updated .js code. So I can only suspect that can be the problem we we wanted to fix that. I also wanted the new programming team to check the ecommerce tracking. They told me that they found the code and asked me if we should make changes to it. I have NO idea... It does seem like in the example code that shipping is listed as zero so maybe when we DO have shipping, it's ignoring it? Can anyone tell me?

#1 - if updating to .js code will make the random transactions missing be fixed

#2 - if there is anything in the code below that would make the shipping to not post. I do see that it's "0" in the example given as we have mostly free shipping. However in 15% of our products, we do charge shipping and it never shows up separated out in Google Analytics.

'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');
ga('create', 'UA-29XXXXX-1', 'auto', {'allowLinker': true});ga('send',
'pageview');ga('require', 'linker');ga('linker:autoLink',
['www.mydomain.com'] );ga('require', 'ecommerce');
ga('ecommerce:addTransaction', {'id': '76307','affiliation': 'Rohit
K','revenue': '0.71','shipping': '0','tax':
'0.05',});ga('ecommerce:addItem', {'id': '76307','name': 'Concave Curvy Wine
Bin Cube', 'sku': 'XX-PI-UN-XX','price': ' ','quantity': 'Rustic
XX Unstained',});ga('ecommerce:send');

Re: Missing Random Transactions & Shipping Not Tracked

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Kristi,

First of all, I recommend you update your code from ga.js to analytics.js. Here you can find the instructions: https://www.optimizesmart.com/universal-analytics-upgrade-guide/

Universal Analytics (analytics.js) provides advanced e-commerce tracking called ‘Enhanced Ecommerce‘. This tracking is not available in Google Analytics (ga.js).

Enhanced e-commerce tracking provides many more ways to collect and analyse e-commerce data than traditional e-commerce tracking. Thus enhanced e-commerce provides deeper insight into e-commerce engagement of your users. Through enhanced e-commerce tracking, you can send following types of data to GA:

1) Ecommerce Overview
2) Shopping Behavior Analysis (cannot use with the traditional ecommerce)
3) Checkout Behavior Analysis (cannot use with the traditional ecommerce)
4) Product Performance
5) Sales Performance
6) Product List Performance (cannot use with the traditional ecommerce)
7) Internal Promotion (cannot use with the traditional ecommerce)
8) Order Coupon (cannot use with the traditional ecommerce)
9) Product Coupon (cannot use with the traditional ecommerce)
10) Affiliate Code (cannot use with the traditional ecommerce)

In order to set up traditional ecommerce tracking, we use the ecommerce.js plugin. But to set up enhanced ecommerce tracking, we use the ec.js plugin.

Here are the instructions for developers how to set this up: 1) If you would like to use only UA - https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/enhanced-ecommerce
2) If you would like to use Google Tag Manager to make it a bit easier - https://developers.google.com/tag-manager/enhanced-ecommerce

I guess that you have some problems with the server side variables right now - they might not work properly. You need to ask your developers to check a server side script which populate the various fields (shipping variable for example) of the tracking code, with the actual data.

If it's possible I recommend to use enchanced e-commerce tracking instead of the traditional ecommerce tracking. Enchanced e-commerce makes it easier to find better insights.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks! I'll look into that!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Okay, we just put it live this morning. I'm seeing my shipping data, orders, and everything else. I will be crossing my fingers that 100% of the orders come through.

My "Conversions --> Goals --> Funnel Visualization" is not working though. It actually didn't work before, I was hoping this would fix it. In my goal, I have the pages that are required (/viewcart, /login, /checkout, /thankyou) but they show as no visitors in the Funnel Visualization section.

Any advice on how to get that to work, or should I ask in another section?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Kristi,

Great to hear from you.

I tried to set up a funnel based on your description (that's an example):

Screen Shot 2016-07-29 at 22.50.52.png

Is it the only way to go through the funnel? Make sure that you're not missing any steps.

Is there 2 or more funnels that merge into one? Like guest checkout vs first-time buyer who registers vs returning customer who logs in? 

If that's the case, you should construct a separate funnel for each one to measure each journey separately.

There's a data processing delay in Google Analytics that can cause transactions to show up hours/days later. The processing latency in Google Analytics is 24-48 hours. Google has said that transactions are reported fully after a 72-hour processing window - that is something that we should keep in mind when analyzing data. Smiley Happy

Hope this helps.

Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Taavi,

My funnel looks just like that except the 4th step lists /thankyou. Should I remove the 4th step? It also had the first step as required. I changed that to not required just now. Does that matter?

That is the only way to go through the funnel. I'm not missing steps. If they sign in, sign up, or guest checkout, they all still go to the /checkout page. Just doubled checked to be sure!

How do I construct a separate funnel for each one? I can see all the visitors to each page under Behavior -> Site Content -> All Pages but I wanted it in that handy section to analyze. Smiley Happy

I will keep that 72 hours in mind for the future as I'm watching them.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi again,

The “Required First Step” check box on the goal setup causes a lot of confusion. This affects only the Funnel Visualization report. If you check off this box, here’s what happens: The Funnel Visualization report includes only conversions that passed through the required step. That’s it.

Even though the number of goal completions will remain the same, the number of funnel completions is less when you require Step 1. This won’t help you see which paths convert better (because you can’t require more than the first step), but it can show how much influence a particular page has on conversions.

Don't use the "/thankyou" page as one of the steps in the funnel. That's a goal page.

Here are couple of amazing articles that I recommend you to read about the GA funnels:

1) https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2976313?hl=en

2) https://www.optimizesmart.com/the-geek-guide-to-understanding-funnels-in-google-analytics/

3) http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2012/04/19/knowledge-google-analytics-funnels/

Funnel visualization is really useful. You can determine and eliminate bottlenecks in your conversion/sales process in order to improve the website sales. Smiley Happy

Hope this helps. If you have any further questions, just let us know.

Taavi

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Oh! I had "begins with" instead of "regular expression" at the start of the address in Destination.
I also had the whole website address as the Destination rather than just /thankyou

Do you think that had anything to do with it? I saved it so I will monitor. It's just weird that it shows NO hits at the top of the funnel. Hopefully that fixed it.

I'll read those articles, thanks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
After skimming those articles, I changed it back to Begins With, but left the domain name out of the Destination. Maybe that will fix it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Actually, I verified my goal without the main domain in there and it was zero. So I went back to the domain name. I'm going to read those articles and then come back for more! Thanks Smiley Happy