AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Migrating to Analytics.js

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hello,

We would like to migrate from ga.js to analytics.js for analytics on our website, Equitymaster.

We use event tracking and transaction tracking on quite a few of our pages. Since, the implementation has changed, we would like to know if it is possible to migrate in parts, i.e. migrate a few pages to the new version at first and then migrate the others later.

Will this affect our analytics tracking?

regards,
Deepak

1 Expert replyverified_user

Migrating to Analytics.js

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

A piece-meal migration will impact your tracking. Google actually have a pretty helpful migration document which you can find here: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/upgrade/reference/gajs-analyticsjs

I'd recommend against having a mixture of code - some aspects of your data collection will no longer work, eg. events and this will render your data untrustworthy; a serious issue.

You could consider adding the new code to the site in parallel with your existing tracking (though sending data to a different property) - that way you can ensure the basic tracking is working and then migrate your customisations. You could also consider using Google Tag Manager as this makes the migration and implementation process theoretically simpler. 

Here's a blog post (and there's other out there) which describes the process and has a section on parallel tracking during the migration process.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.