AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Migrating To Google Tag Manager

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a very big ecommerce site with thousands of products and using several tracking code e.g -adwords, analytics, bing & fb pixel.

I want to migrate universal analytics to GTM with no loss of data.

Please suggest how to safely migrate because there are several tracking code.

Thanks

Re: Migrating To Google Tag Manager

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
You could stagger the migration into two phases to ensure the tracking remains consistent. The idea is not messing with the working code until you are successful testing GTM. Begin by creating a new property in Analytics to get a new tracking code. Use this for GTM and then implement GTM on your site in addition to your existing Universal Analytics. Wait a week and run a report to ensure the numbers match.

If they do, then edit the UA tracking code in GTM with your original UA from Google Analytics. That way you have tested to ensure it is working properly and will not lose any data. You could probably do the same for the other tracking codes as well depending on the platforms (Alexa tends not to like me).

My reason for suggesting you do it this way is to prevent the data from getting skewed by not firing properly or getting reported in duplicate under the same report.

Re: Migrating To Google Tag Manager

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Awesome suggestion.