AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Merging two Google Analytics tracking codes

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Google analytics has created two tracking codes one for my blogspot url and one for my custom domain, this is creating two sets of reports one for blogspot url and other for custom url  splitting my total blog traffic into two.How can I merge them so traffic shows as combined since its the same blog.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nayna K
January 2017

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Quick afterthought. 
What I would do. if the GA property for the blogspot domain hasnt been used for tracking (the code has not been installed on the blog at any stage) I would delete that property. 
Unless the tracking code for that property was properly installed on the blog at any point, then the data being collected in it is spam data and not useful. Having more than one property created can also lead to confusion.

You should also look into creating another View for the current property and setting up filters to filter out spam data to keep your reports clean and the data relevant and useful.
More information on that can be found here.. long read but worth the time
http://help.analyticsedge.com/spam-filter/definitive-guide-to-removing-google-analytics-spam/

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
Has the tracking id for the blogspot url been setup for some time with the reports containing historical data?

I'm assuming from what you have said, that you have installed two seperate tracking codes, is that correct?

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

On my blog I can only see one tracking code and that is for the custom domain which I bought a few months after buying blogger blog. I am not sure why analytics is giving me two traffic reports  one for each url.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

The one that isnt installed on the blog is likely collecting spam data.. 

Are you able to provide the blog url so as to allow one of us to check it quickly via browser?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Custom Domain

http://simplysensationalfood.com/

blogspotdomaim

http://simplysensationalfood.blogspot.com/

I have two google analytic codes .The one inserted on my blog is the one for custom domain.

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

There are two instances of tracking installed on the blog for Property/Tracking ID UA-9914361-2

One is using the older ga.js version of the tracking code . and im going to guess that it has possibly been added via the blogger Settings > Other > Google Analytics with the Tracking ID entered into the provided field.

and the 2nd installation is the current version Universal analytic.js which has been added to a html widget from what i can tell from the source code via my browser.

Using the blogger settings option installs the older ga.js code last i checked.
The newer tracking code shouldnt be added in a widget, it should be manually added to the blog's html template just before the closing </head> tag.

One of these copies of the code needs to be removed altogether. Having both versions installed causes conflicts and incorrect data (if it tracks at all).

I would remove the one added by the blogger settings. 
If you continue using the blogger settings option, you will not be able to use features that are Universal analytics specific, nor will you have access to new tracking code options when released, as the updates will only apply to Universal not the older ga.js.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Bronwyn,
I have no clue where to find the the blogger setting code that is not set in the widget, I opened the html template and tried control and F but cannot find the code but nothing comes up .Would it be possible to guide me as to where I can find it to delete so I can add new code in correct place.
Thanks
Nayna

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

I have no clue where to find the the blogger setting code that is not set in the widget
Its in the blogger settings.
Log into blogger and select your blog from the drop down that is below the blogger logo at the upper left of the interface.
In the column below that, select Settings to expand the options then click on Other (last option in the list)
In the pane on the right at the very bottom is the GA area with the field for the Tracking iD.
Remove it and save the change.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bronwyn,

Thanks, I have followed your instructions and removed code from widget. I have also deleted the code in blogger settings and then added the correct analytics code in the template where you advised. I hope this resolves the problem. I will check analytics and see if the changes I made work. Many Thanks for your help.

Nayna

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nayna K
January 2017

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Quick afterthought. 
What I would do. if the GA property for the blogspot domain hasnt been used for tracking (the code has not been installed on the blog at any stage) I would delete that property. 
Unless the tracking code for that property was properly installed on the blog at any point, then the data being collected in it is spam data and not useful. Having more than one property created can also lead to confusion.

You should also look into creating another View for the current property and setting up filters to filter out spam data to keep your reports clean and the data relevant and useful.
More information on that can be found here.. long read but worth the time
http://help.analyticsedge.com/spam-filter/definitive-guide-to-removing-google-analytics-spam/