Analytics
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Measurement protocol passing original Client ID to mimic a touchpoint part of original session?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

We have a set up where a bunch of backend events are sent to GA using Measurement Protocol.

Because of this when looking at Top Conversion Paths report we often see a high number of consecutive Direct touchpoints within a conversion path (often in the x5-x20 range).

I am wondering, if we pass back the last known Client ID for a user (based on user ID which is available too) and pass that back with the MP hits within the 30min session window, would these hits be processed as part of the original session? I.e. all the Direct hits we see in a conversion path would be amalgamated or would they still be seen by GA as separate sessions.

The MP hits are also non-interaction hits, if it makes a difference.

Anybody that has tested this and can share experience will be great - otherwise we'll have to go through some complicated set up to do our own test.

Cheers,

George

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author George Slokoski
July

Measurement protocol passing original Client ID to mimic a touchpoint part of original session?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi George,

If you want to maintain attribution to the original source you MUST capture the client id and then pass it back in with the MP hits.  If you don't do that, you'll get what you have, credit going to direct in GA reporting. 

Hypothetically, any MP hit going within the session timeout would be in the same session. (I haven't had to test that.) 

You can also set a custom dimension and send that with the MP hit if you want to delineate MP hits from web, etc. 

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author George Slokoski
July

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi George,

If you want to maintain attribution to the original source you MUST capture the client id and then pass it back in with the MP hits.  If you don't do that, you'll get what you have, credit going to direct in GA reporting. 

Hypothetically, any MP hit going within the session timeout would be in the same session. (I haven't had to test that.) 

You can also set a custom dimension and send that with the MP hit if you want to delineate MP hits from web, etc. 

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo,

Your answer aligns with my thoughts but I needed some confirmation, thank you.

We are currently sending a random Client ID with each of these events (*far* from ideal I know but was beyond my control) so the attribution to original source happens using the User ID in a User ID view.

That works as we start passing User ID early on in a journey and because we have session stitching on.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey George,

Cool, glad to hear that User ID bails you out.   Just start capturing the cid and pass with the uid and you'll have nirvana.  Smiley Happy

-Theo

Connect on LinkedIn