AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Measurement protocol not tracking platform (not set)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm using Measurement protocol to send hits from my game in different platforms (Android, iOS, Flash/web). I'm working with a crossplatform framework that why I'm not using google sdk for analytics. 

The problem is I can't find a way to set the platform when sending hits so are shown as (not set).

How can I set the platform when sending hits?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Measurement protocol not tracking platform (not set)

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Frederico,

I imaging you have seen the parameter reference?

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/protocol/v1/parameters

If one does not meet your needs you can always pass as a custom dimension. Make sure you configure it in the Admin section of the property.

Also you can validate everything first in hit builder:

https://ga-dev-tools.appspot.com/hit-builder/

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Theo,

Yes, I follow the documentation for my implementation but there is no reference for platform tracking. In some way it is tracking it but there is no explicit information about that.

I know I can track it as a custom property/dimension but the real or native platform parameter is already integrated with reports and charts in analytics so I would like to get it working.

Thanks!

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Frederico,

The SDK's actually use the Measurement protocol so I'm surprised that it's not available in the reference. Have you used Charles or Fiddler to look at the network traffic on an application with the SDK's installed to try to reverse engineer?

It may be something that is tied to some other data point that is not exposed.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I don't know if it's possible to force analytics to use a proxy. I know I can config a proxy in Android but the apps can choose to use it or not. The only app that is force to use the proxy config from android settings is the browser...
I will try anyway...

Thanks

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Gotcha. I know that Fiddler had documentation on using with apps - I've never tried and hope it works for you.

Best,

Theo
Connect on LinkedIn