Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Measurement Protocol Custom Dimension reporting and processing

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to understand the behaviour and reporting / processing for user scope custom dimensions populated from a measurement protocol requests via a CRM. The request will be a non-interation hit and married up to a common cid that we store in the CRM.

My understanding is that the custom dimension will be set to user hits for their current session (if one is active) and future sessions, until the value is changed.

With this in mind, if a value is set / changed between a user returning to the website:

• How is this processed? Is it assigned to the next session?
  • In some reports I’m seeing the custom dimension with zero sessions. This suggest it is applied to the cid and once the user returns the session count will increment?
  • If multiple values are set at the same custom index am I correct in thinking that only the most recent will be retained? I'm thinking in terms of the value changing in the CRM without the user returning to the website.
  • If I have multiple dimensions, that hold associated values and one value changes, do I need to re supply all?

For example:

If I set cd=dog and cd2=Labrador. At a later stage if the value for cd2 changes and a new measurement protocol request sends cd2=Beagle, do I also need to re supply cd1=dog? I’d like to be able to segment on both together and it seems from running a test I always need to supply both.

Thanks in advance

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Measurement Protocol Custom Dimension reporting and processing

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Charlie,

How is this processed? Is it assigned to the next session?

It is assigned to a current session with the session timeout in mind - so last interaction hit + 30 minutes by default. Que time parameter can be used here as well if you want to back fill it in a way.  So in a current session the user level scoped CD will be added to the entire current sessions and all future sessions from that particular user.

In some reports I’m seeing the custom dimension with zero sessions. This suggest it is applied to the cid and once the user returns the session count will increment?

If you are sending non interaction events outside the session timeout than this will result in 0 sessions - you will have user count +1 but session count will stay at 0.

If multiple values are set at the same custom index am I correct in thinking that only the most recent will be retained? I'm thinking in terms of the value changing in the CRM without the user returning to the website.

Inside the session the most recent will be the one recorded for that particular session and all session moving forward - Previous sessions from that user (with no CD value or different CD value will not be affected). 

If I have multiple dimensions, that hold associated values and one value changes, do I need to re supply all?

No this is not needed. 

Kind regards,

Zorin

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Re: Measurement Protocol Custom Dimension reporting and processing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Zorin,

Many thanks for the comprehensive reply. That's good to know regarding not resending all custom dimensions. It's odd though as I noticed slightly different behaviour where I could segment on some custom dimensions between sessions and not others.

Regards,

Charlie