Analytics
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Managing Tag Communication between Analytics and Software team

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I currently sit on an Analytics team and decide which items to tag as new configurations and features roll out in our app/website.  After this decision is made, software engineers create and embed the tags in the app.  My question concerns best practices for managing and communicating the "tag schema" that is passed from the Analytics team to the Software Engineers.

I currently put all the requirements in a Google Sheet, but it's becoming unwieldly.  What are some best practices/tools for managing the "tag schema" (version control, etc.) and effectively communicating it (maybe some collapsible menus or something easily navigable) to Software engineers? Thanks for your thoughts!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Managing Tag Communication between Analytics and Software team

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Zach,

Good to see someone thinking of governance. Have you considered a Google site?

Also, GTM makes this sort of effort easier.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Re: Managing Tag Communication between Analytics and Software team

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Zach,

A spreadsheet (Excel/Google Sheet) is likely your best solution for now. You could try splitting up the tagging by different tag types (analytics, remarketing, etc) or by different website sections. Also, you could ask if your software developers have a issue/ticket tracking solution in place (JIRA, etc). You could then use that as a way to stay on top of change requests/updates/additions/etc.

As Theo mentions, migrating your tagging from on-page to a tag management system will ease a lot of this back and forth communication with your software developers. There are a number of solutions in the marketplace, but Google Tag Manager (GTM) is free and honestly pretty amazing.

Cheers,

Bogdan