Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Looking to turn off data sharing on a single web page

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would like to be able to use Google Analytics throughout my website, but in order to be COPPA compliant, I need to be able to turn off data sharing on one particular page. The only option I'm seeing in the admin account settings right now, is to turn it off completely for the whole site. I'm thinking I might need to implement some code on that specific page to disable the data sharing feature. I've searched for the answer to this for quite some time and came up short, though I feel like this has to be a pretty common problem. Can anybody shed some light on this?

Thanks!!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Zach, you can remove Google Analytics tracking code from this specific page that you don't want to track. Make sure you've added your own domain to the referral exclusion list as well.

Hope this helps.

Taavi

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

As Taavi says, this can be accomplished. I'm not a lawyer so not sure exactly what would be considered compliant but if, for example, you're using Google Tag Manager then you could set a rule to say which pages the tracking code should not fired on.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Based on your question I'd say your best bet is to implement analytics with google tag manager and then with your page view tag you can set it to fire on all pages and then add exceptions to the pages where you need to not track. I don't know about COPPA compliance but if all you have to do is not track certain pages this would be a simple solution that could be accomplished quickly.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the responses, guys!

I do happen to be using Google Tag Manager with GA. Unfortunately, I've explored those routes and it hasn't worked. The idea is to still have Google Analytics tracking on that particular page, but just turn data sharing off. I've gone into GTM and created an exception in my "Universal Analytics" tag for the specific page (so it doesn't fire on it), then created an alternate "Universal Analytics" tag, unchecking the advertising checkbox and set it to fire on the specific page only. I'd like to do the same with data sharing, but I don't see any additional checkboxes or options specific to that feature in GTM. Exploring the Analytics interface, I've only found where to turn data sharing off everywhere. I could write some code to keep Google from data sharing, but I haven't found any useful ID or way to call and set that feature to false.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

I see, when you say data sharing you're referring to the options - from within the interface - of what you share with Google. Again, I'm definitely not a lawyer but having dealt with similar questions on other websites I'd be surprised if COPPA makes a distinction between the data sharing settings and the actual GA data itself - I'd be interested to learn their take on this.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.