Analytics
4K members online now
4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Links from Mailchimp Campaigns have extra URL parameters appended

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am seeing parameters from mailchimp being added to URLs in my content reports. Furthermore, sessions on these pages are counted as (direct)/(none). I would like to clean up the data in my reports by having sessions attributed to email and understanding why these are being appended.

Here is an example of a page with the parameters appended.

.../about?u=9d7ddbe0aa5f49620b60e9351&id=1f888ddc07&e=1cdf6e95b9&c=aeefc9640e

This is the url used within the Mailchimp campaign.  This URL redirects to page on my site where the parameters are dropped.  I can't seem to replicate the pages appearing my analytics report. 

.../track/click?u=9d7ddbe0aa5f49620b60e9351&id=dc1c3fc80b&e=ad7367e690

I'm wondering if this is something wrong with the tracking code or Mailchimp configuration.  Or is it something I should filter out.

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Links from Mailchimp Campaigns have extra URL parameters appended

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi EAQ,

• The track and about pages - they reside on an external site or on your site? So, do they appear in your referral or your content reports?
  • Generally for pages on your site, you can remove any irrelevant URL parameter in your Analytics view settings ('Exclude URL Query Parameters')
  • If it's an email marketing campaign you should always use the utm method to designate a campaign name [1]. Then, you'll see them in your Acquisition > Campaigns > All Campaigns report

Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christoph,

1. There are a few instances of these pages in my referral report, but nowhere near as many as in the content report. The pages I believe are hosted on the domain as they are showing as direct traffic.

2. These are not parameters we are including on our site.

3. We do use utm tagging, which is why I find it strange to see these links showing up with these parameters. It's like analytics is picking up the redirecting URL before the final URL.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi EAQ,

admittedly, I don't have a clear picture of your setup so far ...

• Where do these URLs come from - from your own administrative tasks with emails, or from customers who click on links in their emails?
  • Try to pin down the path of URLs after someone clicks on the link in your mails - you may take a look at a tool like http://web-sniffer.net to detect possible redirects between pages
  • At the same time, try to pin down what tracking does after someone clicks on the link in your mails. You may use Google Tag Assistant for Chrome for that - best in 'Record' mode.

Christoph