Analytics
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Link to #id in own page generates double tags

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm debugging my page www.henryaudio.com in Chrome with the Tag Assistant. When I click the top-right "Buy" or the "Buy now" in the picture the page scrolls to the right section. BUT: each of my two tags (GA and remarketing) appear twice.

Any idea why tags get replicated when linking to an #id on the same page and following that link?

Best regards,

Borge

Re: Link to #id in own page generates double tags

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Tag is triggering only once on click.

You can easily debug on the website with GA debugger:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/jnkmfdileelhofjcijamephohjechhna

You can check in chrome, console tab with 'Preserve log' turned ON.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The GA debugger doesn't really tell me all that much here.

What I see is that when the page is first loaded, the two expected tags are set. When I click on a same-page link with #id1, the two tags are replicated. When I keep clicking on other same-page links #id1, #id3 etc. the number of tags remains at 4.

I wish to know if there are known issues with tag replication with same-page links. All I want to do is let the user scroll up and down.

Best regards,
Børge

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The reason may be in how I track the clicks. A click on the "Reviews" button in the header has the following code:
<a href="#reviews" onclick="ga('send', 'pageview', '/Clicks-Navigation-Reviews_header');">Reviews</a>

So here ga() sends a different pageview while it is still on the same page. However, when I click on other links on the same page with the same style but different content, the tags are not replicated again.

Best regards,
Borge

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I just changed ga(send pageview..) to ga(send event..) It still shows the same tag duplication when I click on that link. So I suspect this has to do with same-page linking and not the flavor of the tracking message.

<a href="#purchase-info" onClick="ga('send', 'event', 'Click', '/Clicks-Navigation-Buy_picture', 'Scroll');">Buy now</a>

Børge