AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Link Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am having the hardest time finding a great video tutorial for tracking links within my website. I am trying to see if visitors are clicking on links. Some videos take me to https://tagmanager.google.com/ and others are taking me to https://ga-dev-tools.appspot.com/campaign-url-builder/

I have been unsuccessful. It seems are if I'm missing a step or two because when I look within GA I don't see any campaign names. I even look live traffic and I don't see any data.

I know that my tracking code works. I have data for  web traffic. I just can't see anything for my links.

I've been stuck and unsuccessful for months. I just got around to joining a forum today with hopes of overcoming this hurdle. 

Thanks

Link Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I assume you mean you want to track when a user clicks on a given link on pages your site. That's not something that GA basic tracking does on its own. You have to tell it to capture that action, usually by creating an event. That involves either putting some custom event generation code on your site, or using Google Tag Manager to capture that action.

Link Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I went through a tutorial on using Google Tag Manager. I feel like some steps were left out because I've watched the video a few times and didn't get results.

Link Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It's a different concept - definitely not plug and play like basic GA. But in the end it all comes down to triggers (when to do something) and tags (what to do). But once you catch on, it is much more flexible and easier to implement than normal GA. But it does take some work in getting it set up.

Link Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

so was the basic GA link tracking done away with? I remember there used to be a javascript code that you added to the a href tag.

Link Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That's what I meant - you have to add extra code into your HTML to get GA to record the click. Just putting GA code on the page alone doesn't do it, you have to add extra code into the link tag. That involves having a developer (or yourself if you're comfortable with doing it) making a modification to the page. I like to use Tag Manager because I can set up triggers that handle that task without having to change the HTML for the page.