Analytics
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Just caught the wrong Tracking ID on a site... 5 months of data is on the wrong property!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So I just discovered that the wrong Tracking ID has been implemented on a WordPress site using Monster Insights.  I've remedied the situation, however now 5 months of data was recorded... just on the wrong property!  I know it's a long shot, but is there any way to recover that data from the other property and integrate it with the correct property so I don't have a huge gap in our data?

Fingers crossed...

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Todd G
April 2017

Just caught the wrong Tracking ID on a site... 5 months of data is on the wrong property!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
Unfortunately, not possible. Properties cannot be merged.

Assuming that the tracking code for the 'wrong' property was not installed on another site and that you have admin access to that, for continuity of reporting, why not have left that tracking code for the 'wrong' property installed and simply update the website url info in the Property and View Setting pages.. together with any hostname filters etc.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Todd G
April 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
Unfortunately, not possible. Properties cannot be merged.

Assuming that the tracking code for the 'wrong' property was not installed on another site and that you have admin access to that, for continuity of reporting, why not have left that tracking code for the 'wrong' property installed and simply update the website url info in the Property and View Setting pages.. together with any hostname filters etc.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Bronwyn - I figured as much.  I also considered re-assigning to the "wrong" property, but I've got a little over a year of data previous to the mistake on the "right" one, so I was hoping to patch the hole and retain continuity.  I'll just export into a spreadsheet.

Thanks for the reply!!