AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Joomla Hits v Google Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi team,

While understanding there is a discrepancy between Joomla Hits and Google Analytics pageviews, the difference is at times massive.

For example an article I recently published on my Joomla site has had 498 hits, yet Google Analytics only shows 78 pageviews.

Is there something I can check in Google Analytics? I'm wondering if GA is recording all visits to the articles on my site?

It seems my GA code is tracking on every page, so I'm baffled.

Any ideas? Surely 478 to 78 is too big a difference?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Re: Joomla Hits v Google Analytics

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Where did the answer go?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I accepted your answer as the solution. Thanks!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi David, I don't see the answer, can you see it on your side? It should remain in the community.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Bryan I can't see it either. I don't know why it has disappeared?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for a great answer Bryan!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi David,

I found a cached copy:

I know of a few possibilities as to why the data is different:
* Analytics does not offer real time tracking. Therefore if you are accessing data in the past 48hrs then the data in Google Analytics is likely not allocated yet (take a look again in a couple days)
* Google Analytics allows users to OPT out of using Analytics, I doubt this is the problem since your discrepancy is far too large.
* If you are making use of a CDN then some of your data may be available on the CDN.
* Hits in Joomla are not the same as pageviews in Analytics. Pageview is defined as a view of a page on your site that is being tracked by the Analytics tracking code (https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1257084?hl=en), where as a hit is defined as almost every action taken place on your site:1 Page view with 4 CSS files and and 3 JavaScript files and 4 images may be counted as 12 hits (only one pageview in Google Analytics) - A pointless way to track.
* Another type of "hit" is considered of post (article) pages on Joomla. This hit counts Humans, BOTS, hackers, aliens and all who come to your site as "hits" - often used by poor advertisers to justify an increase in traffic to your account.

My personal opinion, hits should never be used as a performance KPI. The only time I ever go into them is when monitoring hacking attempts or suspicious activity on my sites